Metal Shelf

Dego510

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2009
Addison, IL
Hi All,
So I went to the hardware store this evening with the intention of buying all the lumber and materials to build a double stand that would hold two 6ft tanks one above the other. On the way to the lumber, I decided to stop and look at the metal racks they had available and found a sale on a 77"W x 72"H x24"D Heavy Duty Steel Shelf for $120. Each shelf will hold 2,000lbs, so I bought it.

Since my tanks are 18"D and the shelves on this are 24"D, the frame of the tank would lay on the wire part of the shelf. Would a sheet of plywood be suffice under the tank to make it flat? How thick should the plywood be? Should I still put a sheet of insulation between the plywood and the tank?

Here is a pic of the rack:
Edsal Shelf.jpg

Edsal Shelf.jpg

Dullamite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2010
Portland, OR
Do you think the shelves are going to be rigid enough. I know the shelves can hold an emnse amount of weight, but they will also have some give, and I don't think that's gonna be good.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
my best guess is too much give ... but I am far from an expert on those metal shelves

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
I am not sure how it is for tanks that size but at the fish store they hold up tanks just by the ends of the tank. get the thickest peace of ply wood you can get. normally 3/4 inch and have it cut to fit the shelf.

How about this. If I remember properly you can get individual peaces of the shelving by them selves. get extra shelf rails so you can brace them one over the other so it is like the tank is sitting on 2 layers of shelf. make sure the entire unit is bolted to the wall really well at the top. I can just see the weight shifting and everything falling forward.

Not tipping forwarders but breaking the supports and crushing forwarders.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I know a lot of warehouses use those to stock up but now days they dont even use them there too unsafe.

http://www.break.com/video/fork-lift-accident-brings-down-the-warehouse-1477373

Heres an idea of what I mean by unsafe but "safe" for your use. There is no doubt that it will hold the weight of the tanks but if a corner is hit with a decent amount of force or one side is tugged, I have no doubt that it will concave. Its almost a guaranty that it will. If it was me I would go buy a couple 2x4's and then make the base a bit wider and add some more x braces connecting the sides and also to the floor if that makes sense.

Scorpio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2008
Queens, NY
You might need something very strong like industrial shelving. Long ago saw kinda super HD at Home Depot that could work with some reinforcement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store