Amazon biotope plants

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I want easy to take care of amazon plants for my biotope I'm working on. I have some Anubis that I've managed to keep alive for a while now. I'm going to redo my substrate. Not sure if I'm going to try to dirt the tank again or buy some plant substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Take a look at this forum, the plant species section is here http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlants.php this has every plant you can imagine. You can filter by types, lighting, etc.
I dont think they're all Amazonian, but I've even managed to keep Willow leaf, Anubius and Vals alive in my SA cichlid tank. Also, I use black Eco complete substrate with black sand in my pt. The sand does tend to sink, but my geos take care of digging it up so it doesn't stay at the bottom for long. As you know, dirted tanks scare me ;)
Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I might try to find some of that. After my attempt at a dirted tank I wouldn't mind trying that.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

Anubias are African. Try Echinodorus and Vallisneria. Maybe Hydrocotyle leucocephala floating. You'll need iron root tabs for the Echinodorus but it's easy and worth it. These are all easy plants

HarleyK

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Howdy

Anubias are African. Try Echinodorus and Vallisneria. Maybe Hydrocotyle leucocephala floating. You'll need iron root tabs for the Echinodorus but it's easy and worth it. These are all easy plants

HarleyK

Doesn't red clay produce iron?

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Just had another thought, geos + dirt = mess :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yes I realized this after. I was trying to find some plants that do well in sand.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Atm, I have a bunch of vals in a 30g, sand substrate, with root tabs and pps pro ferts. While the fish are not Amazonian, its a good comparison for plant hardiness... In the tank are my baby Saratheradon Knaurae and baby Paretroplus Menarambo. The Menerambo are sifters/diggers, similar to geos and even tougher on plants. The vals are kept in place with rocks that are too big for them to move. These Vals are taller than the tank height and I like the way the extra length billows across the water. Theres also bunches of Najas Guadalupensis floating around. Hope that helps.

Sent using Monster Aquaria Network App

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Atm, I have a bunch of vals in a 30g, sand substrate, with root tabs and pps pro ferts. While the fish are not Amazonian, its a good comparison for plant hardiness... In the tank are my baby Saratheradon Knaurae and baby Paretroplus Menarambo. The Menerambo are sifters/diggers, similar to geos and even tougher on plants. The vals are kept in place with rocks that are too big for them to move. These Vals are taller than the tank height and I like the way the extra length billows across the water. Theres also bunches of Najas Guadalupensis floating around. Hope that helps.

Sent using Monster Aquaria Network App
I was watching some of the green machines YouTube videos and they mentioned that plants with thin roots like Vals do well in sand like substrate. Not sure if they Amazonian but Java ferns would work with this?

I was thinking of getting some more Anubis and java ferns (if they are Amazonian) some duckweed and some Vals for background.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Anubias are African and Java Ferns are Asian. I've never really had luck with Java Ferns until I stop planting them in substrate and started tying them down to Driftwood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store