POLYPTERUS ANSORGII CONFUSION?!

bichirbeginner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
central new jersey
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, I am currently in the work of starting my first bichir tank up. I have recently purchased a 40 gallon breeder and am planning on moving my polypterus senegalus from my 20 gallon into it. Now, I'm planning on moving up to a 75 gallon tank in the next year, but am going to see how it works out with the 40 breeder for now. I am looking to get 'fangs' a tank mate, and I recently came across Polypterus Ansorgii, but I am very confused by the maximum size reported on some websites. Some websites say P. Ansorgii is reputed to grow to 11-12" while other's say anything between 20-30". What is the reality? Depending upon the truth, if it is the former, I am planning on getting myself a P. Ansorgii! If the latter, I will dream of having one one day when I can afford a 200+ gallon tank, haha.

Please clear this dilemma up for me!

Thanks. :)

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Well angsorii do have the potential to get VERY big, but most settle in the 20"-24" range, and from what some people say it takes a long time to get there. So maybe in the future you can get a tank with maybe a 26"-30" width just incase you have a monster angsorii.

bichirbeginner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
central new jersey
very true! I can only dream of that, once I live on my own I am planning on making huge progress and getting a couple of large tanks. Hopefully stock them with some endlis and ansorgii's :p

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
The 20-30" size is the correct 1. They will actually get much larger than that View attachment 992030
FYI this is not my pic. This was from google

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
You say u got that from the WWW? How many other pics of that size ansorgiis are there? Usually if there is just one or two images of those size fish it is a rare occurrence and not "common". Mine is about 18-20" and I hope he gets that big!

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
You say u got that from the WWW? How many other pics of that size ansorgiis are there? Usually if there is just one or two images of those size fish it is a rare occurrence and not "common". Mine is about 18-20" and I hope he gets that big!

There's probably not very many at that size in aquariums. Yours will most likely not get anywhere close to that size. I didn't look very hard but that was the first pic of an actual ansorgii at that size

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store