urgent ray help death curl

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Come down this morn my rays curled up all round sides (death curl has been surggested by lfs , my ph somehow has crashed to 5 , ive put some buffer in to slowly raise it lights are off and water level drpped for more oxygen , is there anyway to save him guys ?????????? Please help :(

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Too late I've lost him :mad: , he was feeding fine yesterday , looked fine last nite , this morn all curled up few hours later dead

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Its crazy how fast that fish died , tested water last week water was fine , ph drop to 5 within seven days , no tell tail signs of any probs from any fish , seven hours after looking at my ray swimming around ok hes dead it must be the ph no signs of disease in tank , im going to get a new testing kit today just on the off chance :( what a lame day todays gona be

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sorry to see this,and,not sure if it's the culprit but I wonder what has caused the PH to drop?

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
No idea its crazy suppose all I can do is get it back to normal gradually so I don't shock my other fish to death , there all pretty hardy big jag cats etc so I suppose the ray being most sensitive got it first , it has confused me about the pH though ??? :(

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
ffs.

pH drops because you don't have enough Kh buffering the water and the biofilter uses up Kh over time. The biofilter goes dormant at low pH, ammonia increases, nitrite increases. At low pH the nitrite will be most damaging and then as you raise the pH back up the ammonia will become dangerous. Fishkeeping 101.

Not seeing ammonia and nitrite readings posted in this thread.. Low pH on its own doesn't kill rays, it's the knock-on effects.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
That sucks, man
Try to get the ph back up so your other fish wont get stunned. Texas lace rocks raise ph really fast. When rays get into the "death curl" it's almost impossible to save them. Even the hardy motoros -wich if Im remembering correctly is what you had.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Thanks dan its been a crap day so far today :-( , I've put some some coral in my filter so it increases gradually , need another test kit asap I'm not trusting this one reading as ammonia 0 , nitrite 0 , nitrate 5 , pH 5
I tested my water beginning of last week and pH was fine other readings were the same as now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store