FedEx is a Joke

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I ordered a tigrinus catfish from Ichiban Tropical.

First delivery attempt fish was warm - but showed up rotting in the bag 30 minutes late.

Second attempt (thanks JoJo for being cool enough to just replace and ship a fish at your cost) the fish was delivered FIVE AND A HALF HOURS LATE!

The fish was alive, but was swimming strangely, and breathing very hard.

I floated him for 15 minutes, then poured out most of the water (but not so much that he showed any stress over it) and dripped acclimated him for an additional 30 minutes - during which time he seemed to be improving.

After adding him to the tank (cycled, water change the previous day, running an eheim for filtration) he started swimming constantly, running into everything and continuing to breath hard. This quickly deteriorated into stops where he would be vertical or upside down just lying there.

To make matters worse, on the same day UPS beat FedEx's deadline to deliver a kitty tshirt for a roommate of mine.

Realizing how big FedEx is, and the fact that they insure every package for $100 per pound, I figure that they will probably be understanding and reimburse me.

The guy that answered the phone basically cut me off, and told me that he was sorry, but that FedEx doesnt ship live animals. What a joke. You are the only company that ships live fish from any of the major online stores. Multi million dollar international stores are shipping fish through you and you have the guts to tell me that you dont ship live animals?

Im enraged. I dont get why people dont just ship with UPS. Ive never had a DOA with UPS - and Fedex has always caused problems.

I had fish shipped this winter and they came flat rate USPS and showed up alive and well - no fatalities.

Im sorry, if the mods need to move or delete this, that is fine.

Im very frustrated and I need to get the word out about this. The more people hear about how lousy FedEx is the better the chance that something will change.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Maybe just a series of bad coincidences, not that i wouldn't be up in arms if it happened to me.
i don't know, I've never gotten a single fish shipped to me so I don't have any experience with mailing, I just get mine at my LFS and drive them home.

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
I can understand your frustration.. somewhat related, but I ordered dry goods and paid extra for Purolator as opposed to Canada post expecting quicker delivery... waste of money. They can make their excuses and we are sol..

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Unfortunately, even if FedEx admitted fault, you still would not be able to collect on the cost of the animal. There's a total of 0 (ZERO) carriers, in the US, that will pay on a live shipment loss (airlines included). The best you can look forward to retrieving is reimbursement of the cost of shipping for late guaranteed-arrival-time deliveries. Unless you retain your own private insurance animal policy, prior to the shipping (as with race horses and zoo specimens), the cost of the specimen(s) being shipped is always "at your own risk".

I, too, learned this lesson the hard way on a 14 box shipment where half the boxes went to the wrong side of the country and took 2 weeks to fix.

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
"but that FedEx doesnt ship live animals." That is funny They ship anything and everything. No matter how expensive or how quick you want it delivered. You were just talking to the wrong person.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Fedex always send me an email about the delivery day and then I got the packages 1-2 days late all the time.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Unfortunately, even if FedEx admitted fault, you still would not be able to collect on the cost of the animal. There's a total of 0 (ZERO) carriers, in the US, that will pay on a live shipment loss (airlines included). The best you can look forward to retrieving is reimbursement of the cost of shipping for late guaranteed-arrival-time deliveries. Unless you retain your own private insurance animal policy, prior to the shipping (as with race horses and zoo specimens), the cost of the specimen(s) being shipped is always "at your own risk".

I, too, learned this lesson the hard way on a 14 box shipment where half the boxes went to the wrong side of the country and took 2 weeks to fix.

I had two fish, on two different shipments that came in late and one with no water in the bad, Delta gave me my money back on both, but it took 2 months to get a check.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store