API rena xp-L/XL Quastions

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Hey guys!

So i have a 90g with a hoplias mala (13"), an oscar(12~"), an albino chlarius (12"), and a rope fish (10"~). Right now im running an aqua clear 70, ac 110, and an ATI sponge filter 5. So now that intro of the tank is done here's my question. Im thinking of swapping out my ac70 for a rena xp-xL. Iv read they are very good filters but want to get more one on one opinions from people from use or have used them, or just people who are well informed. Are these in fact good filters?

Thanks for the help in advance :)
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
That would work but the 2 hob's you have are plenty if set up with double sponges

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
That would work but the 2 hob's you have are plenty if set up with double sponges
Well on the 110 i run a sponge, bio balls+biomax, and a carbon pad u use for canisters. For the 70 i have a sponge with 2 stock bags of biomax and a carbon pad.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
still enough ..the can would be"nice" but an "upgrade" ...that's up for debate ...I am in the "if it ain't broke "camp

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
still enough ..the can would be"nice" but an "upgrade" ...that's up for debate ...I am in the "if it ain't broke "camp
Hmm i see. Ill have to further ponder this. Thank you

Also this may sound dumb but how do u fit 2 sponges in the aquaclears and still have room for the biomax?

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
amongst your ponderings ,remember ,you have a good, working ,easy to care for setup now..you will be spending $100+ to "upgrade" with minimal benefits along with exposure to a possible mini-cycle and stress on you fish if the swap goes poorly...good luck either way you go ..if you need "help" with swap there is always somebody "here" glad to help....

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
amongst your ponderings ,remember ,you have a good, working ,easy to care for setup now..you will be spending $100+ to "upgrade" with minimal benefits along with exposure to a possible mini-cycle and stress on you fish if the swap goes poorly...good luck either way you go ..if you need "help" with swap there is always somebody "here" glad to help....
Thanks a lot (for real, not in the sarcastic way). At least i know im doing it right, i have a few friends who continually bash hobs and make me doubt using them, so i figured id try n get a neutral opinion. You recommended using 2 sponges though, as a setup does that mean i only slap 2 sponges in the aquaclear?

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Yes ,,especially in the 110 that will max out the bio and mechanical filtration...but what you have set up now is fine....if you do go to double sponges, maybe do the 70 first you can do double sponge+ bio in that ,,,,,,,,when( if) you do the 110 make sure you haven't cleaned the 70 or ati filter for a while...probably would be a good idea to put the new sponge in the110 on the day you would normally clean the sponge ,,,except don't clean it ,just add new spoge and remove bio:)

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Yes ,,especially in the 110 that will max out the bio and mechanical filtration...but what you have set up now is fine....if you do go to double sponges, maybe do the 70 first you can do double sponge+ bio in that ,,,,,,,,when( if) you do the 110 make sure you haven't cleaned the 70 or ati filter for a while...probably would be a good idea to put the new sponge in the110 on the day you would normally clean the sponge ,,,except don't clean it ,just add new spoge and remove bio:)
Ahh i see. So whats the point of biomax in these things? I thought that was like a must for hobs?

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
the sponge acts as a harbor for bacteria.... .in most other type of hob's the inserts aren't enough area for much bacteria...BUT the biomax IS still good in ac's ,,,it just offers less mechanical filtration than the sponge

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store