ID on illness with Texas Cichlid

crazyk213

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2013
Schwenksville, PA
Here are the best 2 pics I could get. One has flash other without. His face is swollen and and has some white wounds on it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

2.jpg

1.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Can you post water parameters, numbers please and include Ph & temperature, this is important. Also a head on pic if you can. It could be "Duck lips" columnaris. How long has the fish been like this?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Tom that it looks like early acute Flexibactor columnaris.
This is most virulent at temps 82'F and above, the fish below was infected during a summer heat wave, water temps in mid to high 80sF.
Here is a pic of the beani with advanced duck lips, it died the day after the photo was taken.

crazyk213

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2013
Schwenksville, PA
Well, last night I Googled duck lips for comparison pics. Pretty sure that is what it was. Yesterday was the first day it was noticeable. He was acting shy for the day before, but nothing I could see. Anyway, I put melafix and some lifeguard in last night(all my kit had in it) it was to late though. This morning I woke up to my fears. He died sometime in the night and was floating against the circulation pump. Thank you all for the advice, but It looks like I caught it to late.

Sent from my ADR930L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
So sorry for your loss my gf lost her fh to duck lips it's not nice :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It is a fast killer maybe 48 to 72 hours at most from visible symptoms to death. If you ever run across this again the 1st thing you need to do is get the temperature in the tank below 75 degrees and add 1tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water. This will slow it down, heat is your enamy with this. It needs to be treated with a combination of Kanamycin and Furan 2. I'm sorry he didn't make it. I was hoping you would have come back on last night, I checked the thread a few times before I logged off.

Do a large water change today 50% + and dose the tank with salt as discribed above. Don't keep the tank above 80 degrees 78 to 80 is fine. Do 25% water changes every other day for the next week and keep the tank salted. After that you should be able to go back to your normal scheduale.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store