tips for the trimming impaired

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
For the most part I can grow most of the plants I've attempted but maintaining aesthetics is an issue. My crypts are great, snip an occasional leaf here and there and they're good. Blyxa japonica doubles by the month but simply pull a full clumps out, shift a few plants the fill the now barren spots and done.

Bunch plants that tend to turn bushy are an issue for me. I buy typical sized clippings,, they take off and look great and the next thing I know they're overgrown and I fail to trim them effectively so I hack them back to their original size. It seems the tank tends to look perfect one weekend then be out of hand by the next weekend. Is there any resources to learn how to trim better? Do I need to suck it up and trim between weekly water changes?

Any pointers are appreciated, thanks.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
.. I buy typical sized clippings,, they take off and look great and the next thing I know they're overgrown and I fail to trim them effectively so I hack them back to their original size. Is there any resources to learn how to trim better? Do I need to suck it up and trim between weekly water changes? Any pointers are appreciated, thanks.
Reminds me of the I Love Lucy episode where Fred destroys their Christmas tree by overpruning..
Try trimming smaller amounts, waiting a day or two then adjusting. Whenever I'm trimming, I stop several times, take step back then adjust. Although, I'm also guilty of getting carried away on occasion. Take a look at YouTube, lots of videos there.
http://dustinsfishtanks.com and aquaticjungles.com are helpful, if you can tolerate his voice.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
Reminds me of the I Love Lucy episode where Fred destroys their Christmas tree by overpruning..
Try trimming smaller amounts, waiting a day or two then adjusting. Whenever I'm trimming, I stop several times, take step back then adjust. Although, I'm also guilty of getting carried away on occasion. Take a look at YouTube, lots of videos there.
http://dustinsfishtanks.com and aquaticjungles.com are helpful, if you can tolerate his voice.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yep this is pretty much it. I keep my wife in the room with me at a distance, she "eyes" the trimming for me.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Will check out youtube when I get a chance. Just when through a big hacking so as things start to fill back in and looking good I'll make a point of trimming before things get overgrown.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Here's something worth noting to get that "perfect" look when trimming stems.

Trim the tops, remove the bottoms, and only replant the tops.

Granted, you can only do that once you have more than enough of the plant you are using to get the desired look. Otherwise keep the bottoms and wait out the bottom stems to send out side shoots.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Be careful how much plants mass you trim cuz if you hack off 30-40% plant mass your nutrient uptake is obviously reduced therefore you could be dosing to much and have algae issues.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Be careful how much plants mass you trim cuz if you hack off 30-40% plant mass your nutrient uptake is obviously reduced therefore you could be dosing to much and have algae issues.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

I'm newer to planted tanks, how often do you guys typically trim? I know most plants will likely differ between species, but in general; every few days, weekly, monthly?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Here's something worth noting to get that "perfect" look when trimming stems.

Trim the tops, remove the bottoms, and only replant the tops.

Granted, you can only do that once you have more than enough of the plant you are using to get the desired look. Otherwise keep the bottoms and wait out the bottom stems to send out side shoots.
This is my usual approach but once I cut back the tops I see the older growth on the bottom and instead of snipping individual leaves I cut the whole plant down. Going to try cutting the bottoms first then a few errant stems so I don't loose so many bright red leaves.

Good points but I'm probably under dosing by the time I become overgrown. I cleared 20% of the substrate to try s. Repens as a carpet and the rest is jam packed with plants, could probably do a 55 with the amount of plants I crammed in there.
Oh wow, that's something I never even thought of. Good input, F1.

I'm newer to planted tanks, how often do you guys typically trim? I know most plants will likely differ between species, but in general; every few days, weekly, monthly?
Really depends on the plants and set up. My 235 has swords, tiger lotus, anubis, and onion plants so trimming is only needed to eliminate an occasional dead or damaged leaf once a month or so. My 5 betta has crypts, blyxa, and anubis with a 13w cfl and no co2 so trimmings are few and far between. The 36 has dual t5ho and co2 so plants can double in size in a week or two.

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Thanks, bbortko, that answers a lot. I'm using 13w cfl myself, without co2. My main plant will be Rotala, I guess I can expect clipping every 2-4 weeks on that, and longer on mosses. I also have crypts in that tank which have started a side plant. It's just good to get an idea as I thought it would be more trimming/pruning, and I'm glad it's not.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I usually let it get pretty out of control before I get in there with scissors but I always remove dead or decaying leaf material!

Maybe every 6-8 weeks ill hack it up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store