300 gallon set-up

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
So I thought id repost this in the correct area and get some feed back. :)

So what i need help with, im getting a 300 gallon tank and need some help on stocking and equipment
I want to have these fish
12" BGK
3 end bichirs
3 snegal bichirs
1 ornate bichir
2 asian leaf fish
2 tiger datnoids
3 tire track eels
1 fire eel
2 geophagus jurapari
2 African clawed frogs
And maybe 2 royal plecos, or two cool large plecos

Id like to do planted maybe just driftwood with java fern, anubis, and moss, i know rooted plants wouldnt be good for these fish
I need to know good lighting, filtration, heaters, substrate, driftwood, rocks, more or less stock?
Sorry for the loads of questions, thanks ahead for any answered!

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Lots of bottom dwellers and hiding fish, the only thing moving will be the dats and geos. Also the frogs may get eaten, they are slow and tasty.

I'd go standard and simple for filtration, a sump with filter socks and bio media. If you are handy for lighting there are lots of great and cheap DIY LED options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Yea i guess your right, but besides the ornate the bichirs are active, and even the eels, but should i get more datnoids? or maybe some large bala sharks, pacu, or silver dollars? I dont know how i feel about a sump, would it be a lot better than multiple canisters? And what type of lighting would be best strong LEDs or florescent bulbs? My dad can help me make the lights.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Not getting the plecos either btw forgot to take that off.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
So I thought id repost this in the correct area and get some feed back. :)

So what i need help with, im getting a 300 gallon tank and need some help on stocking and equipment
I want to have these fish
12" BGK
3 end bichirs
3 snegal bichirs
1 ornate bichir
2 asian leaf fish
2 tiger datnoids
3 tire track eels
1 fire eel
2 geophagus jurapari
2 African clawed frogs
And maybe 2 royal plecos, or two cool large plecos

Id like to do planted maybe just driftwood with java fern, anubis, and moss, i know rooted plants wouldnt be good for these fish
I need to know good lighting, filtration, heaters, substrate, driftwood, rocks, more or less stock?
Sorry for the loads of questions, thanks ahead for any answered!
I think the Sengals and Asian Leafs maybe two small as adults and may be preyed upon by the bigger bichirs or Dats in the future. The same goes for the frogs I imagine they'd fall prey as well.
The Plecos aren't a good choice for a planted tank as they'll more then likely eat anything you put in there. So you may have to choose planted or the Plecos. Other then that I'm not much help in a planted tank as I have no idea what lights to recommend or whether you'd need CO2 or not, etc. The only thing I'll say is I'm pretty sure planting a 300 will be a pretty expensive proposition.

As far as filtration if money isn't an object my personal preference would be running one canister thru a UV sterilizer and obe thru a fluidized bed filters and maybe setting up an algae scrubber if not going the planted tank route. So I'd go with
1-Fluval FX 6 running an inline sterilizer my choice would be a coralife turbo twist 12x/ 36 watt
1-Fluval FX 6 running a TMC V2 model 1500 fluidized bed filter.

The Fluvals would help mechanical while offering medium biological filtration while the UV's would help eliminate patyhogens and free floating algae and improving water Redox and the fluidized bed would offer a great biological filtration base.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
In a tank of that size I'd go for half a dozen or more "jurupari" (most likely Satanoperca leucosticta if you've buying from the LFS), it will give you a bit more activity, albeit in the lower levels. Spotted silver dollars would be cool, or pink tailed chalceus.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
I think the Sengals and Asian Leafs maybe two small as adults and may be preyed upon by the bigger bichirs or Dats in the future. The same goes for the frogs I imagine they'd fall prey as well.
I have 1 asian leaf with a 12" ornate bichir and my senegal is about 8" and my end is 6" he doesnt seem to even nip at them so im thinking that will be all good because ill just be moving him, even the BGK doesnt bother the asian leaf. And yea i ruled out the plecos because they might go for the slime coat on my bichirs, and forgot about the plant aspect thanks for that. Im gonna run low light plants that can go on driftwood so they dont face problems with uprooting. And yea thx for the filtration i want the best because im not paying for it, my moms boyfriend is (hes a millionaire). Ima have to research all that crazy wording though :) haha. Also ill drop the forgs probably for the best anyway their not very competitive eaters, and the one albino i had wouldnt eat pellets had to feed him all meat.
David i think upping the geos to 6 would be a good idea, maybe 12 and no tiger datnoids, and maybe some spotted silver dollars.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Ok so this is what im planning on getting.

Tanks dimensions are 96x30x25, and when filled with water weighs about 2500lbs
x2 Fluval FX6 536 gallons of turnover per hour each
Corallife turbo twist 12x/ 36 watt, linked to one of the canisters
TMC V2 Model 1500 fluidized bed, linked to the other canister
x6 50 pounds of pool filter sand (300lbs) or do you think i should get different sand? maybe black sand?
x2 15 Quad 48 6500K 216W (night lights!)
x3 Aquatop 500 watt titanium Aquarium
Lots of driftwood and rocks, not sure where to get all these though...
Planting with java fern, java moss, and anubis attached to driftwood

Do you think this is a good set up?

Livestock-
x3 Endlicheri Bichir
x3 Polypterus Senegalus
x2 Polypterus Ornatipinnis
x1 My beautiful Black Ghost Knife Diablo 12" 3 years old
x6 Geophagus Jurupari
x3 Tire Track Eel
x1 Fire Eel
x6 Altum Angel True wild Strain
x1 Synodontis Euruptus

Anymore or less stock?

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I wish my step dad would try to buy my love, he is also quite wealthy. Too bad I'm 30 or else id have a good shot at a free tank too!!

Sounds like a good plan to me. Even the best plans will have issues though, hopefully he is willing to pay for the inevitable changes when something isn't right.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store