What is a "Dither"

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Hey guys!

its a year im on this forum and i still don't know what "Dithers" are. Would anybody be able to tell me? I get that its not one specific kind of fish but i dont really get it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
It can have a couple of different meanings depending on your point of view. Some would say dither fish are there to make your "prize" fish more comfortable because it see's the dithers and becomes more relaxed. Dithers can also accentuate the "prize" fish in question by creating contrasting colours or size. Thirdly I'd say dithers are also used as targets for aggressive fish, to spread out aggression or draw it away from another fish.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
Dithers=targets, usually smaller and faster than your main fish in your tank if your fish are aggressive, that way if you have aggressive cichlid s or whatnot it gives them something to chase instead of each other, or if you have large fish that aren't the most active, they add some liveliness to the tank

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Dithers are fish used to make shy/nervous fish more comfortable and outgoing in the tank. A term that has been used for decades in the aquatic trade.

This article is from 1979. http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=42

Target fish are not the same as dithers. Target fish are used to assist in pair bonding between male and female fish, and to give both male/female fish a release from their aggression towards each other. Both terms and their definitions are thoroughly explained in detail in the link posted above.

HTH

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Dither fish are usually an active, schooling species that by their continual movement, will promote a sense of security and well-being to the other tank inhabitants. They do not represent a threat to them. They are rarely, if ever in the same family or genus (Ex. Silver Dollars as dithers for Uaru, say). Target fish are added to provide a perceived threat to the other fish. Their presence will strengthen pair bonds and result in increased spawning activity (Ex A Green Terror in with my pair of Hoplarchus psittacus). They have to be recognized as a potential threat so a cichlid would require a cichlid target. The targets could be younger, subdominant fish of the same species, or heterospecifics. The closer the heterospecific is in color , behavior, and size and shape, the more the fish will react to them.

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Cool! Thank you guys, it's actually a cool concept that i might use in my tanks from now on :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
It can have a couple of different meanings depending on your point of view. Some would say dither fish are there to make your "prize" fish more comfortable because it see's the dithers and becomes more relaxed. Dithers can also accentuate the "prize" fish in question by creating contrasting colours or size. Thirdly I'd say dithers are also used as targets for aggressive fish, to spread out aggression or draw it away from another fish.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
very well explained !!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store