help! water gone mega cloudy (with video)!!!

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
hey all, for those that dont know after a big water change and tap water filter clean (i know stupid) a month or so ago i had a cloudy tank issue, evrything tested ok and in my thread on here we put it down to a bacterial bloom. well its been on going gradually getting worse up until waterchange each week but not terrible. then i fitted my drip system yesterday and it seemed to get cloudier, then today i done my planned final water change as per my normal weekly routine and changed out 50% as well as a re-scape and crap suck.

then bam, mega cloudy water?? the water is testing fine still with results the same as last time 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and less than 10ppm nitrates???? the worst in has ever been and it seems to be getting worse? i done a video yesterday of it slightly cloudy so i will post that in a bit. i will also post the video i done just now on which you can see what looks like algae blowing on the glass??? i cleaned the glass today and yesterday? something is seriously wrong is it a bacterial bloom or some sort of white algae?

confused.

[video=youtube;BXDpRpVJZ_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXDpRpVJZ_Y[/video]

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
even worse than this now????

[video=youtube;fWT4RzI1b4w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWT4RzI1b4w[/video]

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I would say it's a bloom, given that you have no substrate - nothing for the bacteria to live in, so the excess is ... causing this. Sounds like MEGA water changing in the past couple of days, so just give it some time.

Also - given the heavy bio load in the tank, you can expect more than less, of it.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i have been thinking the tank was more stable when i had sand.... not much really a massive waterchange, 50% today and about 140l via the drip since yesterday, i would usually do 60-70 per week? the bloom has been ever present since the last episode a be it alot less obvious.

i will let it run... i have too, just so annoying to look at a tank of milk!

is that bacteria blooming on the glass?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
What kind of filtration are you running? Do you have a UV Sterilizer? How long do you leave the lights on for? Do you see any planaria? How often do you feed and how long does it take them to eat what you've fed them.

There's a lot of free floating waste/excess food/something floating in your tank in the video. With no substrate, good mechanical filtration and just after a water change there shouldn't be. It makes me think you maybe over feeding or your filter is focused on Biological with not enough Mechanical filtration. It could also be a free floating algae or bacteria bloom that hasn't worked itself out. If it's bacterial as fwprawn said best bet is to lessen the amount of water changes and lessen feedings to compensate. If it's algae lessen the feedings and decrease the amount of light your tank has access to.

I should be be able to help you figure out what it is more positively once you answer the questions.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Whats Planeria?

I run only an fx5 and a tetratec hob filter for a 4 foot tank. Also theres a 1000lph power head... no uv. The tank has run fine like this for 2 years now often stocked more heavily. I once done a large waterchange and tap water filter clean about a year ago and had a similar bloom but it all leveled out and cleared up a week later.
Lights are on for 6hrs a day average. I feed twice a day and make sure its all eaten. Tank only gets direct natural light for two hours a day in the morning if the blinds open...

Its bizarre how quickly this came on?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Fx5 has two trays of carbon and one of ceramic rings also. .. hob is just sponge which I alao cleaned today... the drip is running a 100% change a week syphoning from a plastic tank in my loft that feeds the hot water boiler.. sediment filter inline and carbon filter?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
how did this happen so quick? after reading this thread im thinkingthe bacteria that reproduces really fast has caused this but as far as organic waste im not sure?? the stuff i sucked up today was minimal, the fx5 was cleaned two weeks ago? no substrate? levels are good?

the cichlids are now at the surface so im guessing the bacteria is sucking up all the o2!

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Whats Planeria?

I run only an fx5 and a tetratec hob filter for a 4 foot tank. Also theres a 1000lph power head... no uv. The tank has run fine like this for 2 years now often stocked more heavily. I once done a large waterchange and tap water filter clean about a year ago and had a similar bloom but it all leveled out and cleared up a week later.
Lights are on for 6hrs a day average. I feed twice a day and make sure its all eaten. Tank only gets direct natural light for two hours a day in the morning if the blinds open...

Its bizarre how quickly this came on?
Fx5 has two trays of carbon and one of ceramic rings also. .. hob is just sponge which I alao cleaned today... the drip is running a 100% change a week syphoning from a plastic tank in my loft that feeds the hot water boiler.. sediment filter inline and carbon filter?
Planaria are tiny white worms that stick to the glass right after a water change and are an indicator usually of overfeeding. From a distance they look like white spots upon closer inspection it becomes apparent they're alive as they slowly crawl along the glass.

The drip system could very well be part of the problem. Is the water that's feeding it warm or cold? If it's warm, warm water tends to have a lot higher mineral and metal content then cold because it sits in the pipes longer and absorbs these things from the pipes. Its why people tell you to boil cold water for cooking etc. Another factor is any large difference in temps between the water can cause cloudiness due to the formation of microbubbles as the two temps clash.

As far as your filtration, you're definitely running less mechanical then I would. Believe it or not before the cleaning the dirt in your filter was probably acting as mechanical filtration and after a thorough cleaning you've lost that benefit. It sounds like your depending on your HOB for all your mechanical and due to it's design it's a very poor mechanical filter. The HOB's sponge probably clogs quickly and the water forces it's way around the sponge fairly quickly making it less efficient. Canisters are the best for Mechanical as they make sure most of the water is forced through the filter material.

My suggestion would be to dump the carbon and add more ceramic rings and some fine filter pads to the FX/canister. After all the carbon has a short life and is only really good for chemical filtration and unless your adding meds and want them or something else chemical filtered out it doesn't serve much purpose. The ceramic rings will give you more surface for beneficial bacteria/bio and the filter pads will work two fold as a bacteria spawning ground(not as good as the rings but still) and add more mechanical filtration to the tank. Personally that set up has worked for me and my tank clears within 2-4 hours after a water change even when I do 75%.

EDIT: Just saw the post about them at the surface. Decrease the water level and create as much surface agitation as possible to help with gas exchange also decrease the temp as much as possible that you know the fish can tolerate comfortably, cold water has a higher oxygen content. Use the powerhead and the filter outlets, it'll be noisey but it'll help. Also if you've got an air pump, now's the time to get some bubbles going in the tank again to help with oxygen levels.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Hey i dont know whats happening to your tank, but could you help me out and tell me what you use for filtration? Im thinking about getting a 300 gallon for some oddballs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store