automatic water changer

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Been reading a lot about fish room setups lately and how to maximize them. If you are using an automatic drip water changer on a system of tanks on a shared sump what is the best way to remove water so there is no overflowing? Do you have an overflow in the sump to run the water to a drain?

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Check out uaru joeys video on drip systems YouTube
Although they'll be plenty of threads about it on here I'm sure

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
he essentially plumbs the sump at the desired level so the water runs off. So if you loose power the pump will obviously turn off and then wouldn't a large portion of the system drain out? Is there another way?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
he essentially plumbs the sump at the desired level so the water runs off. So if you loose power the pump will obviously turn off and then wouldn't a large portion of the system drain out? Is there another way?
Am I right about this?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Well if your drain is below the tank then you can just make a small overflow and have gravity lead it to the drain which could be a tap in the sink or even a bottom drain in which most laundry rooms have. Having it set up like this ensures that the water level will never go past the set mark of the overflow which is basically fool proof unless the you lose the siphon to the overflow.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Well if your drain is below the tank then you can just make a small overflow and have gravity lead it to the drain which could be a tap in the sink or even a bottom drain in which most laundry rooms have. Having it set up like this ensures that the water level will never go past the set mark of the overflow which is basically fool proof unless the you lose the siphon to the overflow.
Thank you for your reply and I get what you wrote but what happens if you loose power? Once the pump turns off the water level will drain until level with the overflow. The sump will start to fill with this water which will be in turn drained off due to the overflow drain for the water changer. Once power is back on will there be suffice next water left in the systems ? Do you set the over flow drainage fairly higher to make sure thee is enough left and then in that case do you risk the sump overflowing with power outage? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thank you for your reply and I get what you wrote but what happens if you loose power? Once the pump turns off the water level will drain until level with the overflow. The sump will start to fill with this water which will be in turn drained off due to the overflow drain for the water changer. Once power is back on will there be suffice next water left in the systems ? Do you set the over flow drainage fairly higher to make sure thee is enough left and then in that case do you risk the sump overflowing with power outage? Thanks

You are correct you need to set ur sump drain level a bit higher than normal to ensure ur pumps don't run dry during a power outage, best part about a power outage is you get an extra mini water change when it does happen. Water lines still run without power so ur fish are still getting fresh water during an outage, another benefit of auto drip IMO.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
All depends how much ur tank level fluctuates though when the returns shut off. Some of mine bearly drop a cm. And others drop close to an inch. Easy to test and adjust ur sump levels with an elbow and or pipe inside the sump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
On my sump tanks, drain out of the sump. On my non sump tanks, hob overflows. All drains run to a common drip pan then out a hose to the garden.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store