Advise on setting up a sump please.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
It's not mine yet but I found a 300 gal glass tank 96" x 30" x 24" with stand for amazing price and convinced my wife to let me get it, we just need to find a few guys to help move it one of whom has a truck to haul it in & fingers crossed it will be mine.

I like canisters and believe in over filtration but I'd rather not buy 2-3 FX6 canisters and since the tank is already set up with a center overflow It would be easiest and more cost effective to build a sump.

Now I know next to nothing about proper sump sizing and setup so any advise is much appreciated. I looked for a sticky on this but couldn't find any so if there is one point me in the right direction and I'll start reading.

from what I've been able to learn reading about other members setups I know I'd like a large sump using filter socks for the large particles, possible refrugium and wet/dry setup.

What would be the best size tank to use for the sump, to allow for a possible refrugium and heater placement? How many dividers/ sections should there be?

Thanks in advance.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?418193-Sump-size&highlight=sump+size

Here's a starter with some pointers on sump size. Please note that the size in gallons of the sump is not the only thing you are concerned with. It has to fit somewhere (preferably, under your tank, although not always), it has to be accessible for maintenance, and the smaller it is, the less you can add to it and the less room for error you have in maintenance.)

If you use the search feature and enter "sump size" and search titles, you'll find a bunch more threads. You'll see some repetition, but you'll see some good links and some good points.

Read, think about it, and come back for more. People can help more once they know what size sump you can fit and what you are willing to get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store