Green Texas

Mojorisin138

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Idaho
So I recently came across a 6 pack of herichthys Carpintis at 1.5" for $30 through a place in Portland, OR called The Wet Spot. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this place or if someone could direct me to a reputable place I could get some. I'm looking for some I can grow out and possibly breed, so up to 3". Any info would be much appreciated!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
The Wet Spot is a reputable dealer. I've used them many times (I'm also in Idaho) and have had no problems. Overnight shipping typically runs $40 for a small-medium sized order. Anthony, the sales manager at TWP is responsive and easy to deal with.

Mojorisin138

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Idaho
Thats awesome! Good to know. I just put an order in for the 6 carpintis. I'm very pleased so far with the order process and their professionalism. Happy to know there is some Idaho locals on the forums!

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
This is one from a group of H. carpintis 'Escondido' I got from Wet Spot a while back. Very nice fish.
IMG_7612 copy.JPG

IMG_7612 copy.JPG

Mojorisin138

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Idaho
Wow, very nice. I'm happy I decided to go with them. I've never owned these fish before, are they fast growers?

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
Wow, very nice. I'm happy I decided to go with them. I've never owned these fish before, are they fast growers?
It's variable. In the group of six I bought about half grew quite fast and the others were slow. I also have a small group of H. carpintis 'Rio Hondo' from Cichlids of the Americas. These guys have grown faster, especially the male I have. The 'Rio Hondo' have larger spots and are more blue than the 'Escondido', but both are very nice.

H. carpintis 'Rio Hondo' (female)
IMG_8437 copy.JPG

IMG_8437 copy.JPG

Mojorisin138

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Idaho
Oh yeah, she is beautiful. thanks for the information. Again, it's awesome to hear from another idahoan. I'm not far, located in Pocatello.

Mojorisin138

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Idaho
Also, that's "Rio Hondo"? Is this just referring to where they are found?

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
Also, that's "Rio Hondo"? Is this just referring to where they are found?
Yes, in this case it's referring to the collection location of this particular variant. Many SA/CA cichlids are identified/qualified this way because of the wide variation that often occurs within species. In the absence of taxonomic work to confirm species relationships, it at least retains information about where the type was collected.

Any good fish stores in Pocatello? Boise's shops don't deal much with New World cichlids, apart from the basics, so I find myself shopping online more often than not.

Mojorisin138

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Idaho
That is very interesting. I'd love to get me some Rio Hondo variants as well. No, actually the lfs here are very upsetting. The locally owned company in the area is the same in regards to their stock of cichlids and other standard fish. Although I would not buy anything from here anyways due to their disgusting tanks and lack of maintenance. The Petco is actually pretty cool about donations and their employees are very knowledgeable. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them follow this forum.
Yeah I'm getting pretty experienced with recieving fish in the mail, but it's still the strangest thing to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store