What kind of interesting fish can I get for a community tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
A friend of mine is planning to set up a community tank and wants to get some really distinctive and interesting species to stock with with (He finds live-bearers like guppies and mollies too boring for his taste). Would anyone here be able to recommend some species that might be suitable for his new tank? Thanks.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I would suggest checking out the massive variety of catfish available, being careful to avoid those that are likely to swallow fellow tank mates

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Go "semi-aggressive" and get some black skirt tetras. Really cool fish that school well.

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
Mollies are sold as freshwater but they are not, they are brackish fish and will die within a week or two.

setup #1- a bunch of discus, a couple ghost catfish, a peacock/tire track/zig zag eel, some silver dollars, a pleco, some flag fish, and maybe a few tinfoil barbs.

Setup#2-a bunch of guppies, a bunch of neon tetras, a pair of kissing gourami, a pleco, some mixed color platies, a few rainbows, and again some silver dollars.

Setup #3-2 auratus cichlids (only get the auratus cichlids if the tank is 40g or over), 5 longfin skirt tetras, some neon swordtail fish, 3 angelfish, a alpine gourami, and a neon gourami.

Setup #4-3 albino convicts, 2 convicts, 2 auratus cichlids, 4 peacock cichlids (types of your choice!), 4 yellow lab cichlids, 3 silver dollars, 1 brown knife fish, and a dino bichir.

Celestialsins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Florida
Rainbows, Hoplo catfish, Leopard Ctenopoma are some of my favorites for larger community. My Brown Hoplo is super active and Leopard Ctenopoma is an ambush predator that is pretty fun to watch.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I'm grossly surprised that nobody has bothered to ask how big a tank this is, or how many fish/what kinds are already present.

Most of the above suggestions are impractical and irresponsible suggestions for a typical community tans.

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
I like Pictus catfish in a community tank. As long as the other fish in the tank aren't too small and the pictus are fed well, you won't have any problems. They're more active than other catfish in my opinion. They have a nice pattern and coloration.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store