Lets talk hybrids

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
This may get interesting but lets keep it civil.

What do you think about hybrids? Personally Im cool with them under certain circumstances. A) its not a HOT. B) it doesnt dilute some endangered sp and most importantly C) its easily distinguishable as one and is sold as a hybrid.

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
To each his own I guess, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.... but personally I dont think I would ever purchase one, if somebody gave me a nice looking one, I might keep it.

When you have a nice looking species thats pure, why would you want to dilute it?
Its like creating a lesser animal, in my eyes anyway.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
I don't like hybrids or morphs, and in rare sp. it should never be done. I saw some mixed sp. uromastyx and that really makes me mad. we need bloodlines clear. Evidence of this is the Hogg Island boa. I was looking for a while for a pure one, and learned it isn't easy. Even those labeled as pure sometimes aren't.
Edit: with the conditions posted by the op, It would be okay, provided the normals aren't driven out of the hobby

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Thats my opinion as well. As long as the sp is secure in captivity then I see no problem. In fact I prefer them over morphs simply because of the inbreeding used to make the morphs. Plus no morph looks like these. :drool:

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I like em, as you guys said though as long as it doesn't mess things up its cool. To me it would be interesting to breed hybrids, just to see a nice blend of characteristics of the 2 parent specie

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
The problem is some people are too obsessed with it. They don't take into the health of the animal, or the species. They are too absorbed in making new hybrids/morphs and the animals pay the price for it.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
As has been expressed by others already I like them as long as it's of a species which is secure in the wild and captivity and it's done responsibly. The only other stipulation I'd add is, as long as the hybrid created isn't more dangerous then the individual species used to create it. I know Lep said about HOT's but as far as dangerous I was also thinking of the Rock/Burms being created and the dangers they pose to both people and the environment.

Unfortunately as crayfish pointed out many people breed without taking into account an animals health or security of the species. Still I think hybrids get a bad rep for perpetuating the problem but my personal belief is that those who breed inferior stock in the pursuit of the almighty dollar will do so regardless of whether there was hybrids or not. They would over breed pure stock and use inferior progeny in order to pad their profit margins, which is as bad for the continuation of a species as hybridization. That's my opinion anyway.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I think if i had to choose I'd rather not have them, just too many chances for our favourite species to be spoiled down the line as lines become crossed; especially by people that would take hybrids to lfs' and pollute gene pools further. Conversely, "MFKblades" or "MHBlades" has some convict x jags that look epic.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
I was also thinking of the Rock/Burms being created and the dangers they pose to both people and the environment.
Just going to point out, "man eating super snake" didn't get it quite right. From what I have heard, hybrids between the two are actually smaller, and are sometimes (I don't know how frequently, or if its typical) sterile. Either way, afrocks, burms, or any hybrid of the two have negligible impact on the environment, or people when compared to agriculture, cats, pollution, and development for homes.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store