265 gallon tank build

Ian14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Baltimore
Just picked up a huge tank from a deal off craigslist. Came with a million little parts for the sump and does put look like it has ever been fully put together. To start things off it came with a 4 foot 90 gallon sump a dolphin 1200 gph pump, 700 gph submersible pump and what looks like another submersible pump probably around the same capacity as the other with like 8 buckets of these bio balls.

The tank is drilled with four holes along the back. Doesn't look to be any overflows along the back. The sump is drilled in the side for the return lines I assume.

I have never used a sump but I would like to make a project out of it.

With this kind of sump what would the best size return pipe be, as well as the overflow. I plan on using the dolphin on one return and then use both the submersible on the other return. As far as placement goes in the sump of the different sections of filtration and the glass with the holes in it I have no idea yet.

I'd appreciate some input and advice, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1393297067.252449.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1393297095.535998.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1393297133.788106.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1393297177.992947.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1393297197.690342.jpg

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Depends on how you want to set it up. For returns, its tricky but overflows are simple. If you are going to use the two combined pumps for a total of 1900 gph, I personally would use a two inch and a 1.25 inch pvc overflow. The two inch will support 1500 gph and the most flow leaving less of a suction noise and the 1.25 will support 580 gph which is the remainder which is going to be your noise.

Generally your going to lose a decent amount from head loss so you will be in the safe zone even if one partially clogs. The return pump size should always just match the pump's fitting. There is a debate that a smaller diameter will give a better flow rate as it wont have to push more water volume up but matching it to the pump has always worked for me.

I personally dont have my sump hard plumbed but thats a preference of mine, I like to switch out the pumps with others laying around to test flows and not so its not "permanent". I use clear tubes with a high quality zip tie and some pliers to make sure it doesnt slip off.

But all in all
return: match your pumps fitting
overflow: a 2 inch and a 1.25 inch.

A word of caution is to make sure you wont go too big or the overflowing water will make your room sound like an ocean. Having one pipe always submerged taking the "grunt" of the flow leaving the other overflow to take the remainder will ensure a less noisy sump.

Ian14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Baltimore
Thanks! I was reading about the durso stand pipe and that seems like the best option of a overflow for me. My question is, can it just be the stand pipe there or do I need the glass/acrylic piece acting as the first overflow and shielding the stand piper from the rest of the tank. It's tough to explain

Also about using two different diameters. What if I just had 2 1.5 inch pipes for the overflows and had them discharge in the same place I'm the sump. And as for the pumps just take the water out of the same place, if you know what I mean?

Or do you recommend having 2 separate filtration compartments/areas in the sump tank

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Thanks! I was reading about the durso stand pipe and that seems like the best option of a overflow for me. My question is, can it just be the stand pipe there or do I need the glass/acrylic piece acting as the first overflow and shielding the stand piper from the rest of the tank. It's tough to explain

Also about using two different diameters. What if I just had 2 1.5 inch pipes for the overflows and had them discharge in the same place I'm the sump. And as for the pumps just take the water out of the same place, if you know what I mean?

Or do you recommend having 2 separate filtration compartments/areas in the sump tank

I think I fully understand what you are trying to say but correct me if I am wrong.

For return overflows this is honestly the only one I have made myself and it works great. But the durso stand pipe looks like it will be quite! I'll have to try that out sometime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65yVr7DiDls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DFk4bnIxEg

So when you ask if you need a glass or acrylic panel for a stand pipe I could tell you in short and referee you to this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH5mq3P3tEY
Short answer is no if you are planning on housing larger fish that cannot fit through the pipe. The panel is added to keep out fish and possibly anything that will clog it but if your iffy, you could.

As for using two different diameters for the overflows I would HIGHLY recommend it. On my 220 i currently have two 1.75 inch drains and its not good... I had to do some modifications to it because its would go GLUURRP every five seconds or better known as the siphon effect which sounds like the ocean!!!

This is on my 220 with a 2400gph pump or somthing along those lines. I forgot haha
Here you can see I added a elbow.

Without this elbow or the airline hoses on the right the overflow box is very loud and I couldnt live with it.

I have seen others with two different diameters and it works great with no other modifications. My friend is currently running a one inch and a 1.5 inch on his 150 and its silent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7kayU6-NGY

At around 2:30 joey touches on why this is a better set up. Hope i answered your questions!

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Oh and for you sump questions, it really doesnt matter how its set up as long as its all in there. Many people have more than 3 compartments but I have two. One for the trickle tower for the bio balls and then one for sponges and then the pump. Bio balls never loose their surface area unlike ceramic which must be behind all the mechanical filtration or it will clog and fast! But you should look into running some filter socks too keep maintenance a bit easier for yourself. I would rather wash the socks out than take out everything in the sump!

Ian14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Baltimore
Oh and for you sump questions, it really doesnt matter how its set up as long as its all in there. Many people have more than 3 compartments but I have two. One for the trickle tower for the bio balls and then one for sponges and then the pump. Bio balls never loose their surface area unlike ceramic which must be behind all the mechanical filtration or it will clog and fast! But you should look into running some filter socks too keep maintenance a bit easier for yourself. I would rather wash the socks out than take out everything in the sump!
I have a quick question for you. The sump is 90 gallons (4 feet). I have loads of bioballs, probably enough to fill up the sump twice. Would it be just as effective if I just had two compartments. One for the media and one for the pump. So just one huge media compartment? It looks like the stuff to do that came with the tank.

In the picture the card board looking thing is cut class that fits the top of the sump with two return bulkheads. And then drilled glass that would cover 3/4 of the length of the tank. So if I just put in enough mechanical filtration over top all the bioballs in there would it be better than having multiple compartments?

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1393629779.243302.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store