benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to share my new project. I've been wanting a 40B for years now, but never really had a chance/excuse to start one until recently. I decided my 20L was getting a bit crowded with plants and wanted to upgrade. Thank to finding some awesome deals, I was able to start one without really hurting the wallet...much.
01.jpg

Here's the 20L...can't find more recent pictures, but it didn't change too much from this picture. It was just a jungle. I removed the Wisteria and added an assortment of Swords and Rotala.
_DSC0010.jpg

I had an xP3 laying around, but no hosing. However, I had some PVC piping laying around and some tubes. I also bought an inline heater over a year ago that I never had a chance or place to use. And I decided I wanted to paint the pipes black. And while I was at it...I never painted a tank before and decided...why not. This could be the tank I experiment with.
02.jpg
04.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg

01.jpg

_DSC0010.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

07.jpg

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Since this was an upgrade for my plant tank, I've also been wanting to do a dirted tank. I used Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil. I sifted through it to remove any big pieces.
13.jpg

After sifting through all that dirt (pretty time consuming), I made a border for the dirt. I didn't want to see layers, so I made a border and poured the dirt in there before I capped it with PFS. I was planning on adding Laterite before I capped it, but I forgot! I was kind of mad because I kept telling myself this over and over. I ended up sprinkling the Laterite around and pushing it down as much as I could without disturbing the substrate too much.
14.jpg
15.jpg
17.jpg

I didn't like the strainer that I was originally planning on using and found that a sponge filter fits just perfectly into the intake.
18.jpg

After that, I SLOWLY filled the tank up with a plate to prevent the water from disturbing the substrate and started to move the plants.
19.jpg
20.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

18.jpg

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm kind of OCD with how my filters are placed. After I turned it on, It wasn't priming. After looking at the aquastop, the piping was reversed. The way I like my system is the intake on the left and output on the right (when you're looking at it). Well...it seems that the xP filters are opposite. I tested the filter before to check for leaks and did the same thing so I don't know how it happened again. The good news was that the way I would've liked it made me worry as I was worried about the inline heater attaching the PVC to the hose would come loose over the electrical outlet. Since I had to switch it around, I no longer had that fear. And actually during the switching, the inline heater did pop off:eek: And of course, since I reversed the intake and output, I had to rearrange the plants and rock that were already planted. That whole process was a pain.
View attachment 993119
22.jpg

22.jpg

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The next day, it was time to move more plants. After pulling up my 1 Crypt, it divided into 3-5 plants when I dug it up. I ended up planting the small ones together, so they are spread out into 3 areas of the tank. I originally started off with 4 Swords which turned into 8-9. I'm hoping that when the Swords grow in, it'll be a nice thick bush on the left side of the tank.
26.jpg

After about 5 days, I moved in some tester fish.
27.jpg

Now I play the waiting game. I'm actually waiting for some new lights and I'm still not sure if I want to move the Rotala in here yet. I might get an Anubias to hide the roots of the Java Fern by the rock.

So far, I have Amazon Swords, Argentina Swords, Cryptocoryne Undulata, Java Fern, and Moss Balls. The tannins are already leeching into the water, so I'll be doing a water change soon.

26.jpg

27.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store