flooring

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
What kind of flooring do you have under you tanks? I'm wanting to change to all hard flooring but I'm getting different information. I wanted strand woven bamboo then I was told to go with laminate then after that I was told laminate swells if it gets wet and to go with hardwood or vinyl. Is there anything that won't fade, dent from large tanks being on it and won't hurt it to get a lil water on it now and again?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Unfortunately I have had tanks on hardwood floors. a 55 gallon leaked most of it's water on weekend when I was away. The floor did not buckle but was discolored. Not sure if it could have been made right as I never tried. My take is that most any kind of flooring that is real wood or a natural material like bamboo will deal with occasional and tempory dampness, but not long term being wet.

I understand the plan is to only have small spills that are soon wiped up, but it has not worked out that way for me. I have had a few major leaks. I was lucky with one in that it was in a basement with a cement floor,so no damage. Mostly there are small leaks that persist over time. Some have gone unoticed for a long time with the potential to damage wood flooring. The problem is that the wet gets under things like stands and pads and stays wet. Wood floors look good but I am not comfortable with it under tanks.

When I moved into my current house I took up the carpet from the area around my tanks. I put down vinyl tiles. I also made a border around the area with plastic quarter round to hopefully keep the water from the carpet. I took advantage of a hole thru the floor so that a big spill will go into the basement.

About the denting of flooring. For metal stands i put pads under the legs to spread the load. The heavier the tank the bigger the pad. I like solid material like aluminum. I used plastic furniture pads in the past but the metal legs over time pressed into the plastic. A metal pad/shim under the leg and then on top of a plastic pad should work. I no longer used wood pads under legs as they can get soaked from leaks and not dry out for a long while.

Good luck

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Thank you so much for your response :)

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have hardwood floors I didn't want to ruin. My son put down a product called Ditra and laid ceramic tile on top. I bought mismatched tiles for cheap and made an interesting waterproof floor.

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Excellent answer, skjl47.

Personally, I have all my tanks over carpeting, only because I've never had a major leak or spill. I use a 4'x4' vinyl office mat when I do water changes, the kind that offices use under chairs on wheels, by desks on carpeted floors. There's even a little tongue on the mat that's meant to go under the office desk, which I scoot under the tank stands (metal stands, not wood).

Here's exactly what I use, only I didn't pay $165 for it, I pulled it out of a office being remodeled.
http://www.wayfair.com/Deflecto-EconoMat-Low-Pile-Carpet-Straight-Edge-Chair-Mat-DEFCM11112-L418-K~FC2118.html?refid=GX21919179780-FC2118_7212218&device=c&ptid=25249038660&PiID[]=7212218&gclid=CIXYxYPJ6LwCFRJo7AodSzQAEg

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Concrete.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
580 gallons of tank on my living room carpet, about time for a new carpet any ways. :nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store