Elephant Nose Fish size?

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
So, as some of you know I've decided to get an Elephant Nose fish as my first fish. I will be keeping him alone, sort of as a wet pet, instead of having a tank with a bunch of fish. I recently located a 55 gallon tank with stand and filter. I'll be picking it up within the next two weeks and will also get a heater, sand substrate, blood worms, plants, etc. Now, does anyone know how big these fish actually get? Most sources online say 9 inches, but I don't think I've ever seen one get that large. I think they are fascinating fish, especially since they were considered sacred by the Ancient Egyptians (google it, it's true!).

Now, besides the size question, I'd also like to know what kind of plants I should get. I'm going to get a fine sand substrate, but are there any plants that would do well with sand? They would also need to have low light requirements since I know the Elephant Nose likes low lighting. Also, I read a few articles here about cycling a tank using pure ammonia. Does this smell? My issue is that I have a parrot and anything that releases fumes is a big no-no (candles, chemicals, room sprays, teflon cookware). Are there any other ways of successfully cycling a tank? I want to make sure my little guy has every chance of survival! :)

By the way, when I say "Elephant Nose" I mean Gnathonemus Petersii, part of the Mormyrus family.

kreysing1HR-640x303.jpg

kreysing1HR-640x303.jpg

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
So, as some of you know I've decided to get an Elephant Nose fish as my first fish. I will be keeping him alone, sort of as a wet pet, instead of having a tank with a bunch of fish. I recently located a 55 gallon tank with stand and filter. I'll be picking it up within the next two weeks and will also get a heater, sand substrate, blood worms, plants, etc. Now, does anyone know how big these fish actually get? Most sources online say 9 inches, but I don't think I've ever seen one get that large. I think they are fascinating fish, especially since they were considered sacred by the Ancient Egyptians (google it, it's true!).

Now, besides the size question, I'd also like to know what kind of plants I should get. I'm going to get a fine sand substrate, but are there any plants that would do well with sand? They would also need to have low light requirements since I know the Elephant Nose likes low lighting. Also, I read a few articles here about cycling a tank using pure ammonia. Does this smell? My issue is that I have a parrot and anything that releases fumes is a big no-no (candles, chemicals, room sprays, teflon cookware). Are there any other ways of successfully cycling a tank? I want to make sure my little guy has every chance of survival! :)

By the way, when I say "Elephant Nose" I mean Gnathonemus Petersii, part of the Mormyrus family.

View attachment 993371
Part of the Mormyrid family not Mormyrus. Mine got to 10". I had him for three year. He was already at least 3 years when I got him. He died about 5 years back. I feed him flakes and small sinking pellets. Anubais species are the best plants to use.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
They reach 10" normally in aquaria, most elephant nose wont except flakes, but if you get them to all the power to you! They really like bloodworms, a lot. You can actually get a high light tank and heavily plant it with maybe root tabs but im not best with plants lol, with lots of coverage and your little ele should be fine. If you do want low light though, go for anubis, java fern, java moss and marimo moss balls. As far as the cycling not sure of the ammonia smells, a less accurate way to feed the cycle is to throw prawn, fish flakes, or dead fish in there to rot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store