Aequidens diadema sp. Jenaro herrera

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
All four Aequidens diadema sp. Jenaro herrera arrived safe and sound from TUIC (Jeff Rapps). These fish are not often offered for sale so when they were mentioned the other day in a conversation (in another thread) I had to jump on them. I'm very excited about growing them out and hopfully breeding this species. Sorry for the bad pix but I didn't want to stress them out too much with the canera. They already ate some NLS Thera A+ a very good sign. I prepaired this 90 gallon tank just for these guy so this is there grow out and QT tank in one. In a couple of days once they are settled in they'll get a round of API General Cure since these are wild cought fish, it wouln't hurt.

005.JPG

009.JPG

005.JPG

009.JPG

Andicca

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Plainview NY
I am seriously contemplating ordering these as well, I just got an order from him on friday of peruvian tetramerus, stalsbergi, heroina, a spectabilis and one of those wild costa rican midas.I already have 2 wild diadema thati bought locally a year and a half ago.They turned out really nice, I am just curious if these will be that much different? Decisions, decisions...:confused:

DSCN8051.JPG

uploadfromtaptalk1382121302702.jpg

DSCN8120.JPG

azmtns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Prescott, AZ
Wow, such beautiful fish. I would love to see pictures of the peruvian tetramerus. I am trying to figure out a Rapp's order myself and the pictures of the different tetramerus leave much to be desired. They all kind of look the same to me, yet I am interested in them. Thank you both so much for this thread, very helpful and informative.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Alright Aquanero, your pictures have tips the scales in my decision. LOL I am going to get some metae and Jenaro Herrera as well. :) yours look great btw. ;)

Going to hold off on any Andinoacaras until I find some wild latifrons again. I deeply regret giving my four wilds from Rapps away many months ago. :( Oh well. Hind sight is 20/20.

Post you some pics in my own thread when they come in.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Pretty cool looking fish Tom... make babies.
Thanks Jay, that's the plan, well see how it works out.

Nice Tom they came in looking clean, can't wait to see a full tank shot and these guys put on some size. Good luck with them.
Kolt, I was thinking the same thing when I opened the bag, they are emaculate. I was very impressed with their condition. That's why Jeff is the go to guy.

I am seriously contemplating ordering these as well, I just got an order from him on friday of peruvian tetramerus, stalsbergi, heroina, a spectabilis and one of those wild costa rican midas.I already have 2 wild diadema thati bought locally a year and a half ago.They turned out really nice, I am just curious if these will be that much different? Decisions, decisions...:confused:
Thanks for posting the pix your fish are stunners, good job with them. There are some slight phsyical differances between the two but otherwise very close. The main differance is the breeding, A. diadema being mouth brooders and sp. JH being sub-stright spawners. Why not try some of the Krobia xinguensis Jeff has if your looking for somthing different, they are one of my favorites.

Wow, such beautiful fish. I would love to see pictures of the peruvian tetramerus. I am trying to figure out a Rapp's order myself and the pictures of the different tetramerus leave much to be desired. They all kind of look the same to me, yet I am interested in them. Thank you both so much for this thread, very helpful and informative.
Thank you and your welcome. They are all beautiful fish and as long as you can house them properly any one of them would be a winner IMO. I'm just partial to South American cichlids in general. Good luck with your decision.

Alright Aquanero, your pictures have tips the scales in my decision. LOL I am going to get some metae and Jenaro Herrera as well. :) yours look great btw. ;)

Going to hold off on any Andinoacaras until I find some wild latifrons again. I deeply regret giving my four wilds from Rapps away many months ago. :( Oh well. Hind sight is 20/20.

Post you some pics in my own thread when they come in.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Good choice, you'll like the metae, while they are both similar they do each poses unique charecteristics and patterns. The metae are a very managable species I completly enjoyed mine, I think you will too. GL.

The SAs seem to take a back seat to their larger more agressive CA cousins but once discovered their appeal becomes obvious.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Love these guys Tom. I'll be looking for fry when you get some!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Sandy if I get them to breed you can have some whenever you want.

I had planned to get some of the diadema and metae from Rapps. Ultimately decided on another stocking plan because he never responded to my emails :( Great looking fish disappointed to miss out.
Definatly fish to consider in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store