Possibly the coolest video I've ever seen - Mormyrid

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
I was researching the Elephant nose mormyrid because that's what I plan on getting soon. I came across this guy, it's also known as a "freshwater dolphin fish". I can't find ANY other information on them online such as size, minimum tank size, etc. LOOK at this cool video, they play and look just like a real dolphin. Has anyone ever owned one of these? What is their maximum size in captivity? Now I'm tempted to get a tank with one Elephant Nose and another tank with a Mormyrid Longirostris or similar. Since, I know they can't be housed together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSrsIXuzNs

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Just when I thought I saw it all, wow! What a interesting fish, it seemed to have some personality in the vid. I can see how you came across this fish in a search for Elephant nose.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
I was researching the Elephant nose mormyrid because that's what I plan on getting soon. I came across this guy, it's also known as a "freshwater dolphin fish". I can't find ANY other information on them online such as size, minimum tank size, etc. LOOK at this cool video, they play and look just like a real dolphin. Has anyone ever owned one of these? What is their maximum size in captivity? Now I'm tempted to get a tank with one Elephant Nose and another tank with a Mormyrid Longirostris or similar. Since, I know they can't be housed together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSrsIXuzNs
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?568535-Monster-Mormyrids! The third post and link has a little info on the size. Based on people experiences with other Mormyrus species, the longirostris will probably be extremely aggressive.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
What a cool little guy. He looks like he's having fun.

WarrendaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2009
Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Very cool.. I wonder if a school of them would play with the balls together. I would be very interested to see the behavior adding one more in at a time. Perhaps in a larger tank. I also like his bowl of food idea... Less mess to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
great video..how cute!

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Very cool.. I wonder if a school of them would play with the balls together. I would be very interested to see the behavior adding one more in at a time. Perhaps in a larger tank. I also like his bowl of food idea... Less mess to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
They would probably kill each other. I dont think they school at adult sizes.

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
I read online that they tend to grow up to 17 inches in captivity, and they tend to do well alone, or with a large group. I wish I could keep one alone, but I don't think a 17 inch fish would be good in a 75 gallon tank, right? Even if it is the only inhabitant. I mean, obviously I would want a fish that intelligent to have enough space to live comfortably, not just survive.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
I read online that they tend to grow up to 17 inches in captivity, and they tend to do well alone, or with a large group. I wish I could keep one alone, but I don't think a 17 inch fish would be good in a 75 gallon tank, right? Even if it is the only inhabitant. I mean, obviously I would want a fish that intelligent to have enough space to live comfortably, not just survive.
The max size is 36", but yea they probably wont get past 18" in aquaria. I think a 6' by 2' would be adequate. Just curious, where did you read that. I would like to read more mormyrid literature.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store