DIY live rock / artificial reefs

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
I have talked to the people that supply living color and other companies their molding and epoxy putty

I've been given some great advice on how to make my own fake realistic live rock

I can't wait to start this project.

I'm also in the process of molding and casting dead corals that I've been getting here and there

I will make sure to post pics this week

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Are you making fake live rock like the epoxy resin kind or are you making your own aquaculture live rock

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Are you making fake live rock like the epoxy resin kind or are you making your own aquaculture live rock?

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
Epoxy. I've made some with smooth ons products. It's plastic. Looks just like live rock and I made it te way I wanted. Algae a keep the algae ate off

This will be my first attempt with the epoxy putty but epoxy is stronger than plastic. Te guy told me to pain the coralline colors ect with acrylic paints and then seal the whole structure with a coat of clear epoxy

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
Update!
Bought the product today
Ill take pictures of it when it all gets here then I have to decide how and then design my PVC skeleton on how I want my fake reef to look

Gonna go to hobby lobby later to buy some acrylic paints. Hues of red , green, brown, purple, violets , and pinks to imitate the coralline algae that grows on real live rock

Very excited to do this !

Whenever I build my plywood fish tank (2,000 gallon plus) this is what I will be doing for the whole length of the tank

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Ill be interested to see how this turns out.

For me I would rater buy dead rock and collect a bunch of coral skeletons.

Then grow macros and softies between them.

Some LPS here and there as well - maybe even some Montipora up top.

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
I use real live rock as well. But this will allow me to make my rock structure as I want. , caves and tunnels and holes where I want them

I also love that I can make it appear to be coralline algae covered. My tanks just have never seemed to grow alot of it on my rocks

I've done this before but with smooth ons 321 plastic product. It's twice the price as the stuff I just bought

Again.... Very excited for it to get here

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store