Advice on solenoid failure.....*

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Okay so my co2 has been leaking, basically it went down to 1000psi in about 6 months (normal) but since then (6 weeks) it has dropped to 400psi, I attributed it to my solenoid having aluminum threads/block and my regulator fittings being brass and the fact that the Teflon tape likely gave way, so tonight I took everything apart and re sealed but over tightened a brass fitting that goes into the aluminum solenoid threads and stripped them! I could get it 60% tight before it would give way (with 0 psi) so I put a ton of Teflon tape on the male thread and tightened it as much as I could and re arranged that side to where it would go into the bubble counter instead of holding the pressure when the solenoid clicks off.

Thinking of ordering a new one or using a product like epoxy or soldiering it so that it holds a seal but this all depends in if it doesn't leak.

Any advice.?

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Pbaff

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
SW Missouri
If the threads aren't too bad you could probably get them to seal with some epoxy or solder. Getting a seal that way would be difficult. If the threads are bad you can drill the hole out and use a tap to thread it again. You would have to go up a size, but you could then just screw a new fitting in.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
If the threads aren't too bad you could probably get them to seal with some epoxy or solder. Getting a seal that way would be difficult. If the threads are bad you can drill the hole out and use a tap to thread it again. You would have to go up a size, but you could then just screw a new fitting in.
Yea that's a good idea. Luckily it being aluminum I can re thread pretty easy! I was considering using less light and just going low tech but I may hang in there!

Thx

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
You can get the teflon paste works well. Are you actively using the co2. I mean 6 months of use the co2 will get used up and tank pressure will decrease. How big is the bottle I take my tanks down till there is no more pressure before I get them refilled. I would only suspect a leak if my just refilled tank went to down in pressure in 1 day! which it has and found where the solenoid connects to the tank need a new teflon washer.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
You can get the teflon paste works well. Are you actively using the co2. I mean 6 months of use the co2 will get used up and tank pressure will decrease. How big is the bottle I take my tanks down till there is no more pressure before I get them refilled. I would only suspect a leak if my just refilled tank went to down in pressure in 1 day! which it has and found where the solenoid connects to the tank need a new teflon washer.
Its a 5lbs but the 1 week 3/5 pressure loss was suspicious and the fact that every day during that week the bps altered. Only running apprx 3bps it took nearly 6 months to use 500psi. Now its held steady at 350psi for a week so its good for now.

Guess that Teflon tape wears out?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
C02 refill holding strong, although it took 3 days without injection before I could get a refill :/

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Yikes! Any algae outbreaks?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store