Are Lion fish poisonous to Moray eels?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I want to add a Lion Fish to my eel tank, but would like to know if they are poisonous to the eels? Last thing I want is for one of the eels to eat the Lion and end up dying. IF the eels are immune then great, I'm all for it, but if there's any kind of danger to the eels then I may pass.......

Thanks in advance!!!!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I wouldn't gamble a lion in with your eels. Maybe if you had a really big volitan.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I don't believe lions are dangerous to eels. I've read many stories of people's morays eating their lions with no ill effects and I also saw a video of 1 eating a stonefish in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I was thinking Morays are immune to pretty much all the poison they'd encounter in the ocean (Lions, stonies, and rays) But I figured I better ask, as I really enjoy my eels and would like to see them get BIG.

How bout a porcupine puffer? Again, only concerned with the eels well being. Can they puff up as they're being swallowed? That wouldn't be good at all.

Here's the deal..... It's actually a package deal. As long as nothing happens to the eels if they decide to eat the Lion or puffer then I'm fine with it.

By the looks of things the eels may be getting some new room mates. I just hope the sizes are accurate or the eels might just be getting fed. :(

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Puffers can puff up while being swallowed but porcupines are pretty good at puffin the minute they're grabbed. As long as there's not a huge size difference, your eels should be safe. Just to ease your mind, my fimbriated moray is living with a green spotted puffer and there have been no problems at all. In the past, I've also kept a medium sized volitan lion and they were fine as well.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Puffers can puff up while being swallowed but porcupines are pretty good at puffin the minute they're grabbed. As long as there's not a huge size difference, your eels should be safe. Just to ease your mind, my fimbriated moray is living with a green spotted puffer and there have been no problems at all. In the past, I've also kept a medium sized volitan lion and they were fine as well.
I wish it did...... lol. Mr Nibblez is a cold blooded eel that enjoys eating any fish that I spend years raising then hoping it's big enough to work. This guy ate 7-8" TALL Mono Sebaes.

There is a huge size difference. 5" puffer and a Dragon pushing 3'. IF red bull cans tasted good I bet Mr Nibbez would woof em down.

Starting to second guess the idea, really don't want anything to do with another salt tank..... Maybe the fish are a bad (expensive feeders) idea.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I wish it did...... lol. Mr Nibblez is a cold blooded eel that enjoys eating any fish that I spend years raising then hoping it's big enough to work. This guy ate 7-8" TALL Mono Sebaes.

There is a huge size difference. 5" puffer and a Dragon pushing 3'. IF red bull cans tasted good I bet Mr Nibbez would woof em down.

Starting to second guess the idea, really don't want anything to do with another salt tank..... Maybe the fish are a bad (expensive feeders) idea.
Oh damn! That's kind of a big difference 😕 I wouldn't chance it man cuz it could probably eat the porcupine even after it's puffed up. Maybe the spines will stop it but morays get pretty dedicated. How big is the lion? Maybe you can get them both then sell the porcupine?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Ive always liked the idea of big fish with tiny fish, interested in having your eel surrounded by blue chromis or something lol.

Or you can get a giant lion fish maybe remember seeing a black voltain at House of Fins must of been as big or even bigger than a basketball lol.

Good Luck!

alwaystrouble

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2008
EAST COAST USA
I've had lions with my morays, the eels will eat anything it can get it mouth on, the other possible problem is when the eels get stung which will happen but its not going to kill the moray, morays tend to room a lot, sooner or later theyre going to run into the lions barbs on the middle of its back, face my swell but never lost a eel to a lion sting, lost lions cause morays have eaten them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store