New to rays, need advice looking to eventually breed.

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
I have never kept a ray but I have done tons of research ever since I started building my 360 gallon tank. I am just wondering what species you guys would suggest if I was looking for a species that will stay in a 3' wide tank and eventually breed them. I have read breeding isn't rare or too difficult in aquaria. I work at a LFS that is kinda low on oddball fish so I am looking to breed primarily for my own enjoyment but also try to take some to the store to help inform and sell some pups if I am successful. I was thinking Hystrix but am open to other options!

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
You can want all kinds of species but the reality is where are you going to find them? If you want to breed for enjoyment then go with Motoro, they are the easiest to find, the easiest to keep, and the easiest to breed. If you do find the harder to get rays like hystrix it will take you many years to breed them if at all. The cheaper rays are becoming harder to find as most deal in black rays because of the demand. Marbles are probably the second easiest ray to find but they do not breed that easily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Alright sounds like motoro is the way to go then. They are the most available and sounds like the best choice. Thank you sir!
The Motoro is one of the largest of them all. Keeping it in that tank IMO is... cruel. You can see the minimum tank sizes, and sizes for all of them on the sticky called "Ray Profiles" I looked at the motoros first when i was looking for rays. From what ive read all over the internet, the way to start, is with the True Hystrix, and then just relax with the breeding. Nice to see another monsterfishkeeper getting into rays :D Just getting started my self.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store