bio filtration and fish food, where do you buy yours at?

corn fed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Nebraska
I'm just wondering where you monster fish keepers get all of your supplies? I'm looking for some bio filtration for a canister filter but would like to stock up for a future build. I just can't see myself paying $15.00 for 500 gm of fluval ceramic rings at petco anymore. expecially when you need a TON of it for a 1000 gallon + tank. Suggestions? Also, those who feed pounds of fish pellets a day, what kind of food do you buy and where do you get it. I know some people have multiple giant TSN's, RTC's, Arowanas, Rays, Arapimas, etc. and how do you afford to buy that much fish food. You must buy in bulk, but again, where?
Right now i'm looking at ceramic rings, glass rings, and seachem biomax. I know everyone has different opinions but any major problems with them? Would they all be ok in a canister filter? ANY information you can give me on where to get aquarium supplies for cheap is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
The food bill is the real killer not much can be done about this other then buying in bulk to save a bit.

Filtration can be expensive but there are many cheaper alternatives, Personally if going for a tru monster setup i'd scrap canisters all together and build your own filtration system, either a wet dry/trickle tower/sump or combo of those. Heck I've seen very larger indoor ponds where the filtration was as simple as a pair of 100g drums with some lava rock in the bottom and rest filled with bags full of filter floss. water pumped in the bottom of the barrel and overflowed back into the pond.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Seachem matrix 20L buckets usually run about 100 bucks which is a good deal and I think theres a vendor here who sells bulk ceramic rings pretty cheap.

Food can be expensive but its a bit less if you buy in bulk. Massivore comes in 2.2lb bags and kens fish food is very inexpensive. Becoming friends with someone in a fish market will really help

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I buy them at either drsfostersmith.com or petsolutions.com because they seem to have the cheapest price and also the free shipping when you order over $49. And even with quite a cheaper price on bio media, I did spent about $200 on fluval bio ring and EIHEM bio balls on my 1000 gallon's filter system.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
I got 20L of Seachem pond matrix for around $120 shipped from Amazon.

Jehmco.com has the best selection and prices on buckets of NLS

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store