To reseal tank or to not reseal tank....

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
got a 125 gal tank a while back, I filled it with water and at that time, it didn't leak. But I want to build a 3d background for it, so should I reseal the tank so it doesn't leak after I silicone the background in, or just silicone the background in and hope it doesn't leak?

Or should I not do a 3D background at this time and use texas holey rock or other fake plastic version of it? I should mention I am going to use sand as a substrate, and africian cichlids for my stock as well as couple clown loach and BNP's.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Is there any reason why you have concerns it could possibly leak? Is the silicone in bad shape right now?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; No guarantees it won't leak if you do not reseal. Also no guarantees it won't leak if you do reseal it. Keeping large containers full of water has resulted in the release various amounts over several decades. I would use it as is after it passed the fill test.

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
Why would it leak, after you already tested it ? You don't fix something that isn't broken.
Is there any reason why you have concerns it could possibly leak? Is the silicone in bad shape right now?
Just paranoid I'd get the 3D background in and it springs a leak...lot of work to only remove it for a reseal...

Hello; No guarantees it won't leak if you do not reseal. Also no guarantees it won't leak if you do reseal it. Keeping large containers full of water has resulted in the release various amounts over several decades. I would use it as is after it passed the fill test.
Good point...maybe I shouldn't worry about it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store