Ultima Filters

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Ok. I want to ditch my sump and run a closed loop system . My tank is 180 but will be upgrading once I get a build done this summer. I want to get something that can take on a huge bio load and is a closed loops system. I need something not too powerful for my 180 but not too weak either cause it will be the filtration in a future upgrade as well. Any suggestions. I have 7 cichla in there now. I know they will be filling the tank up in no time. Currently they are all 6-7 inches. What's the Max I could go :) money isn't really an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
I should have looked first ha. I see the ultima II is the smallest one. What's a good sized pump to run with it fellers. I know a few of you have these things!

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Even the smallest one might be too much for a 180, though its probably very close. Too much meaning that it might take more water than you want to use out of the tank to clean it. Other than this concern they are great filters. I have the 4000 model and it takes approximately 200-300 gallons for a good cleaning/flushing. Presuming you can do a literal comparison ratio then the 1000 model would take around 50-75 gallons. I might be wrong here though.

I also might be over doing the cleaning.. I base mine by the water in the sink I use, which means I'm looking at 2ft+ of water to gauge how clean its coming out. If you just go by the little sight glass you'll use a lot less water, but it'll also look clean earlier than it really is. This is about the only complaint I hear about these filters.. that the sight glass is almost useless for telling how clean the water is once the water is on the clean side of things. Its like trying to tell how dirty water is by using just a little test kit vial... you can really only see extremes. So people complain that the half inch of water they see in the window looks clean so they turn the filter back on and get a plume in the tank. It really takes a good foot of water to get a decent idea on this.

I hope this helps

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
I literally just remembered I had a conversation with kendragon on this and he told me my tank wasn't large enough. I literally forgot we even had that chat. I can see it being to small for maintenance but if I could get away with back flushing 50-75 gallons and make it all work I don't see what the problem would be with that. Your post helped a lot. I just want something beefier than my sump that's all. I like the idea of back washing as well as no open sump and heat loss...

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I'm running an ultima 11 4000 and it does take a lot to back flush. I go through about 200 gals. Backflushing using the sight glass. You just need to do it more often. I back flush mine once a week.
Another issue is ....... if your not running the size pump recommended, the filter won't flush correctly. It takes a lot of flow for the bigger filters.
I wouldn't use one for such a small tank.

600 gal. Tank or bigger to make it worth it.

Just my opinion..

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Ah yeah... Oh well. I guess ill stick to my original plan. A Laguna pond kit. More of a smaller scale unit.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I'm running an ultima 11 4000 and it does take a lot to back flush. I go through about 200 gals. Backflushing using the sight glass. You just need to do it more often. I back flush mine once a week.
Another issue is ....... if your not running the size pump recommended, the filter won't flush correctly. It takes a lot of flow for the bigger filters.
I wouldn't use one for such a small tank.

600 gal. Tank or bigger to make it worth it.

Just my opinion..

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Yeah, good call on the flow too... it probably takes at least 3000GPH to really be able to kick the packed media loose real good and get it to swirl around for quick cleaning.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
How about a Laguna ClearFlo Kit with the Canister. Has anyone had any expiernece with these in the regualr sized aquarium? I wonder how much water it takes to back wash these.

sworn

Feeder Fish
Apr 10, 2012
Planet Earth
Ok. I want to ditch my sump and run a closed loop system . My tank is 180 but will be upgrading once I get a build done this summer. I want to get something that can take on a huge bio load and is a closed loops system. I need something not too powerful for my 180 but not too weak either cause it will be the filtration in a future upgrade as well. Any suggestions. I have 7 cichla in there now. I know they will be filling the tank up in no time. Currently they are all 6-7 inches. What's the Max I could go :) money isn't really an issue.

Personally, I'd say your tank is too small for an Ultima. For example, these dual Ultima II's are on a 1600 gal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store