Eheim 2217 Classic Canister Filter

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
Someone is selling a used one for $50. Should I grab it? I have never used an Eheim before. How easy are they to maintain?

I currently have a Fluval 305. I'm not looking to replace it. This would be for another tank.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Forum Fiend v1.1.3.

Daonni

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
nh
For a bit more I would buy brand new off amazon.

Sent from my LG-L38C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
It's not a "bit more." A new 2217 is $110 on Amazon, more than double the price. But that's neither here nor there at this point. My cannister filter experience is solely with Fluval and Magnum filters. How does the Eheim Classic compare?

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Imho the classics are amazing biological filters. I've had a 2215 now for over 10 years and the thing still runs like new. It can be a bit of a hastle to clean because they lack baskets. What I did was buy an eheim media bag for the classics and all the biological media goes in there. When I have to clean I just simply open her up, change the white prefilter, pull the media bag out and clean accordingly. All in all the eheim classics are great filters...I own 3 of them and would not hesitate to buy another.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I am another Eheim snob. The smaller Fluval that have the motor on top are good filters, too. The FX would be ok but the motor being on the bottom can be an expensive needless repair when sand gets in it.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
Eheim is awesome, 2217 is $139 on Amazon. So yes I would scoop up the $50 dollar one.

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
Yes, assuming it's functional and including all hoses and double-tap connectors. I currently have 5 classic's running.

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
i cleaned one a couple of nights ago, 10-15 minutes

i bought 4 out of 5 used, and i remember paying 70 for one 2217. bought the last 2217 new on cyber monday a couple of years ago for 50% off. the first classic that i got used 5 years ago is still running like new today, but i don't know how old it is really.

Daonni

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
nh
It's not a "bit more." A new 2217 is $110 on Amazon, more than double the price. But that's neither here nor there at this point. My cannister filter experience is solely with Fluval and Magnum filters. How does the Eheim Classic compare?
I guess it depends on what you consider a bit more. I think the extra money for something that will last a long time is worth it. In my experience the eheims are quieter and more reliable.

Sent from my LG-L38C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

slade_

Feeder Fish
Jan 7, 2014
United States
I own 3 eheim classics. They are great, and $50 is a good price.
parts can add up though, so if it needs hoses, connectors and media add their price when comparing to a new one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store