driftwood

johnny819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
philadelphia
hi there i live in philadelphia and was thinking about going to the Delaware river to get some driftwood for my tank. the questions are, what type of wood am i looking for? and how do i prepare it to put it in the tank?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
hi there i live in philadelphia and was thinking about going to the Delaware river to get some driftwood for my tank. the questions are, what type of wood am i looking for? and how do i prepare it to put it in the tank?
I usually go for something on the bank in the mud or sand. You can usually see a few inches sticking out above the waterline. Anything that floats there will float in ur tank if not weighed down!

I only find my own dw! not only for fish but reptiles as well! Here's a 4' long root system I managed to yank/wrestle out of a river: uploadfromtaptalk1393480984259.jpg

I threw it in a wheel barrow and poured boiling pots of water on it till it filled it up, then let it dry for a week or so and after almost 2 years no problems or decay! Smaller pieces can be baked in the oven @ 175-200F° for 10-15min as long as you pay attention! Then let soak in tub it pot for a day.

Happy wood hunting :p

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

johnny819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
philadelphia
wow, really nice piece of driftwood you found. is there a certain type of wood that i should be looking for? the oven thing sounds like a really good idea. i will definitely be looking for a submerged piece now
also, do i have to scrub the wood?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
wow, really nice piece of driftwood you found. is there a certain type of wood that i should be looking for? the oven thing sounds like a really good idea. i will definitely be looking for a submerged piece now
also, do i have to scrub the wood?
Thanks!

Not really, just a decently heavy piece that isn't rotten and doesn't crumble! Shape and color preferences are up to you.

Other then that scrubbing isn't required unless there's bark or seriously caked mud. Usually a good rinse with a hose or pressure washer helps a lot too!

Sometimes you have to get dirty to get the good pieces but its worth it! Ive been knee high in water before to retrieve a piece and sometimes its not even a good one but the fun is in the hunt and the satisfaction having placed a natural piece of free authentic aquatic decor into your tank and your fish enjoying it is what counts!

Just know some wood will leach brown/tan color into your tank making it a little like light tea color but this is normal and its called 'tannins'. If you don't like it carbon and or water changes will keep your water clear but personally a hint of tan is kind of cool and natural and some fish don't prefer bright light. But a piece like mine was submerged so long I'm guessing it all leached out so you never know.

Have fun!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store