Feeding Large Arowana

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Hey guys,

I've recently changed from feeding my 2' & 2.5' silver arowana's every day to feeding every second day to try and keep nitrates down.

I feed them 7mm NLS pellets and shrimp. They would prob get 4 or 5 shrimp each.

Is this enough food to keep them healthy or should I change the every second day routine?

Thanks for the help

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Predators don't always eat every day in the wild. I feel that skipping a feeding one or two days a week for all fish is a good idea.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Every other day is fine. Some of my adult monsters are lucky to get that lol.

At 2' though a silver aro i still growing. I still think every other day is fine, but if you notice the bellies starting to shrink I'd stick with every other day and just increase the amount in the feedings. Also be prepared, MOST aro's i see in captivity are docile and lazy partially because they are over fed and fat lol so be prepared because with decreased food you may see more active monsters. More activity and natural behaviors is a good thing in my book , but with in silvers includes JUMPING!

Jtruong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Boston
That should be fine, i feed my aro every 2 days or when im really busy up to 3.

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Thanks guys, was just starting to doubt myself and feel bad but will stick to every other day. Yeah the cover is tight so that's going nowhere.

Afraid they have drop eye alright. The 2.5' er has slight in both and the 2' er has slight in one

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store