Fish species that eats thawed fish pieces? (Cleanup crew after turtle feeding.)

otherness

Feeder Fish
Feb 27, 2014
Sweden
Hi.

· I am looking for a fish that eats pieces of thawed fish and the like. The species should also like an warm high tannin environment of about ph 5.5.

Would the exodon paradoxus (bucktooth tetra) be a good candidate?
Any other candidate suggestions?
Are there any really fast peaceful fish that could live in the same tank without getting stressed about the turtle or harass the turtle, yet serve as cleaning crew?

Background:
These "guise" will live in a separate tank(size to be determined) next to a 200L (~53 gallon) tank with a Mata mata turtle.
Filtration will be a very large biofilter(reversed flow bottom filter with pothos,english ivy etc plants), however I need some "mechanical" filters first, aka the fishes.
The video below illustrates very well the "messiness" as the turtle feeds, I thought a cleanup crew would be a swell idea through a simple overflow system to a tank next to it.

[video=youtube;Ico_1ucFpiM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ico_1ucFpiM[/video]

Thanks in advance for your time!

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Convict cichlids will work, but your turtle will probably eat them, so you will need to replace them. Luckily, convicts will breed all the time every time so replacing will be easy. You will still need a mechanical filter in the form of a HOB (Aquaclear 110/500 is your best bet) or a canister (I don't know anything about canisters)

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Ghost shrimp, guppies and Otto's work but your turtle may munch them eventually which is why guppies are good (they breed easy and don't take up much Bio load) and ghosties are hard for the turtle to spot, both are cheap!

When I had my RES setup I kept all the above and never fed them, they just ate left overs from the turtle & bred like crazy. Good snack for him too.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

thebichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2014
usa
dude if u have a big enough tank go for bichirs they get huge and they might even eat whole pieces of fsh I know my bichir eats huge earthworms and he even eats silversides

thebichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2014
usa
but make sure u have a big bichir like a 8 inch Senegal and make sure the tank has filtration

thebichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2014
usa
but again I forgot to watch the video and bichirs don't like turtles trust me it never works

otherness

Feeder Fish
Feb 27, 2014
Sweden
Convict cichlids will work, but your turtle will probably eat them, so you will need to replace them. Luckily, convicts will breed all the time every time so replacing will be easy. You will still need a mechanical filter in the form of a HOB (Aquaclear 110/500 is your best bet) or a canister (I don't know anything about canisters)
Hm, very interesting fish. However I would like to have some aquarium plants in there and those seem to have a taste for it. I don't know if they would eat my pothos, english ivy roots that I have to strip nitrates. But the turtle would not get to those cleaner crew fishes, as I would have these in a separate tank in a sort of deluxe sump I suppose.

Speaking of filters, I'm going to build something like this:
· "RFUG - A Blast from the Past - DIY"
· "External CO2 reactor-RFUG-Mattenfilter combo design" (See: mattenfilter (with or without plants..))
· "Under Substrate water return manifold, a.k.a., USWRM" (mentioned article)
· "A River Runs Through It"
· "Undergravel Filters: Conventional, Reverse-Flow, & RTR's Ultimate Over-Engineered RFUG"

Ghost shrimp, guppies and Otto's work but your turtle may munch them eventually which is why guppies are good (they breed easy and don't take up much Bio load) and ghosties are hard for the turtle to spot, both are cheap! When I had my RES setup I kept all the above and never fed them, they just ate left overs from the turtle & bred like crazy. Good snack for him too.
Would guppies really eat thawed pieces of fish(!)?
I'm going to have shrimps, ramshorn snail and some other snails with the turtle and as I already have a bunch of those.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
With proper filtration, this shouldn't even be an issue at all.

Also, if this is such a problem, then you are obviously using very messy food.

1. Get appropriate filtration.
2. Use non-messy foods (ie: fresh fish, not frozen.)

Turtles are very, very messy - so it's up to the owners to keep it clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store