Floating plants

Seahorse8383

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I am just starting to tap into live plants. I am looking for the names on some hardy floating plants that will also look nice.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Duckweed. Grows like crazy and is a nitrate sponge :)

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I am just starting to tap into live plants. I am looking for the names on some hardy floating plants that will also look nice.

Are you considering plants for nitrate reduction? Or just to dabble?

If you want serious nitrate reduction try a plant called "Pothos," its a type of ivy that grows out of your tank with ONLY the roots submerged in the water! Its about 6-10$, all you have to do is take it out of the pot it came with and wash the dirt off, trim back roots an inch or 2, then arrange a way to submerge the roots making sure the vines/leaves stay above water! You can use an hob filter, suction cups, aqua basket and a ton of other cheap/resourceful ways! Many hobbyists experience 25-50% less nitrates even with big fish, this reduces the amount of water changes needed which saves time, water and $$! (Check out the link at the bottom for a lot more info!)

As for floaters "duckweed and frogbit" are very good options and can easily be ordered online but per volume will not be as efficient as Pothos for waste (nitrate) reduction!

A heavily planted tank is about the only thing that can match/surpass Pothos Power, when you actually have to dose nitrates to feed the plants you know you got greeeen! :p

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
It depends on how much light you have.

Even duckweed needs some light - as do all plants. Tell us more about your setup first before an educated suggestion can be made.

Also - it depends on the fish - some fish will eat plants - especially duckweed, and you won't have any left after a few days. (They also can clog up filters - so you need to tell us about what kind of filtration you have.)

There's a lot to tell us, before an appropriate answer can be given.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I have a bunch of pothos in my 55g right now and am very pleased with the nitrate reduction as well.

Seahorse8383

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
Norfolk, Va
These are my lights. I want to reduce nitrates and provide cover for my livebearersuploadfromtaptalk1393510869989.jpg

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Did you see my question about what kind of filtration ? A standard power filter / canister will simply suck up duckweed type plants.

I honestly can't make your photo out. What am I looking at ?

Seahorse8383

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
Norfolk, Va
The light were used for saltwater. Im not sure on the name. I have an Emperor HOB 400 and a Fluval 405

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
OK, so like I said - duckweed won't be ideal since it will just get sucked up and/or clog the intake sieve.

I have no clue about your lights - but if they are bright, you could go with something sturdier such as water hyacinth, which has gorgeous flowers, or water lettuce (lovely fuzzy leaves.) Both have large fibrous root systems which are excellent cover, and will help clean the water. That brings me to my next question: What size tank ?

The problem with this kind of thing is; plants do constantly clog filters - either the roots, or the plants themselves, or pieces of plants that fall apart - you will end up having a lot more maintenance and have to clear the intakes every day. That's the problem with floating plants.

You would do much better with plants in the substrate - just get ones that will eventually get big / tall enough to have a mass near the surface - such as Anacharis or Foxtail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store