Double bullnose for sharks

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Ok.

I've been drooling over getting a shark tank for a while, I was even almost ready to pull the trigger this spring until I got a letter in the mail saying they are re doing the roads in my neighborhood and charging all of us $5000-$10,000 for it. So now I'm saving up, again.

Here is my question. I see large rectangle tanks on occasion pretty cheap, or even buying one new isn't bad. I have never seen a used double bull nose used, and new ones are over 2x the price, if not 3x (like 8000 instead of 3000, not to mention te stand is more too)

Every article says you should have sharks in a double bull nose or cylinder tank so they don't hit the corners. However 90% of the posts here or YouTube videos have them in a rectangle tank and it doesn't look like they are suffering.

So....really needed? Better yet, any proof of sick sharks from the many rectangles????

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
Round corners are suggested as that is really the best scenario. In my experience small catsharks learn the corners in a rectangle and develop more normal swimming patterns. If you're doing the tank and have say about the layout, put overflows in the corners with the partition at 45 degrees, vs in right the back. That rounds out two of the corners.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Interesting. So what about rounded corner overflows in the back and then do a flat back hex aquarium so the front has no 90 corners (these are also more, but not as much, and I really like the look).

Anyone able to show pictures or link a thread that shows an injured shark due to corners?

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
If you really like the look, then go for the flat back hex with corner overflows. It would make a nice tank. Honestly, I think you'd also be fine with a rectangle tank too if that's more in the cards. I think you mentioned something of a footprint like 8 x 3or4'. I don't think corners would be much of an issue with the sharks you're thinking of putting in there.

What's the timeline on the road work repayment? Is it an all at once deal, or is the expense spread out over multiple years? If it's over several years where the impact won't be too bad, you may still be able to swing your double bullnose if that's the tank you really want.

As far as pictures or a thread with sharks injured from tank corners, I can't think of any with the small benthic sharks right off hand at the moment. Where I've seen it has been more with sharks like smoothhounds.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
That makes more sense with the corner thing, only needed for the constant swimmers. Anyone else know of a specific example where a rectangle hurt a cat shark?

Not sure on the road yet, there is a city council meeting and vote in 2 weeks. There have been 2 letters so far, and the price has already doubled, and no word on payment terms ( though Google tells me it's often up front, though there are 5 year payment examples sometimes). I do kind of want the sidewalk they are putting in, just bad timing (my savings were shot last year between the wedding and going on two honeymoons over 4 weeks to Hawaii and then Nepal). I also got a larger than expected raise at work yesterday, so maybe sooner rather than later I'll get my shark :)

Also, side question. If I had an opening to see the sump and had a large area for live rock rubble, could I throw a star fish in the sump, maybe a few shrimp or cucumber?? I really like some of the saltwater inverts and would love to have them, but obv they wouldn't survive in the main tank (shark, eel, lionfish, small grouper being the plan). They wouldn't be much bio load, though I don't really see people ever doing that, I think it could look pretty sweet if done right.

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
I'm not sure how much rock rubble you're talking about, but I've done a good portion of the sump filled with rubble before and found it to be more of a pain that anything. All those nooks and crannies turned into a real detritus trap, even with filter socks on the incoming. It took a lot of work to keep clean. If I were setting something up like that again, I'd do bioball or moving bed filtration for my biological instead.

While the starfish and inverts won't be much of a bioload, your shark, eel, lionfish, and grouper will be. Something to keep in mind with your invert selection, as you will probably be seeing some sort of elevated nitrate levels. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this. I've never had inverts with my sharks except for nassarius snails so I can' offer much insight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store