how do you do a water change?

johnny819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
philadelphia
i was wondering how some of you with larger tanks do a water change? i bought a 25ft aqueon(i think) gravel vac and it came with one of a piece that connected to the sink. boy what a disaster. first off, the piece did not even fit onto the sink. so i tried just holding it there even tho it would leak a little. my tank is also on the third floor. i somehow managed to have water leak down to the second floor, come out of the electrical sockets, then proceed to go into the basement ceiling and had to poke a hole into it to drain all of the water out of it. again no idea how this happened, im guessing to much water was trying to come out of it at once into a small tube. as of now i just use 5 gallon buckets.
anyway i was hoping i could get suggestions on an easier way. just a reminder that the tank is on the third floor and the sink is lower than the fish tank. just looking to make it a little easier on me and the fish. thanks for the help

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
I use a python on my 120 and I don't use the spigot attachment/valve piece as it always leaked. I have a brass faucet to garden hose adapter (I have to remove the strainer from the faucet and this screws on in its place) and I screw the end of the python hose directly on that fitting. I just use gravity to siphon the water from the tank to my yard.

On the 450G I use a drip system

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
just syphon 50% out with a 19mm hose straight out the door or window, then fill off my mixer tap with regular hose! takes ages to get the 150g back in less than 10 min to get it out!

johnny819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
philadelphia
so im guessing that you just add the tap water conditioner after the water is in the tank? also how do you get the temperature to match the water in your tank or come close to it?

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
I use an old 600g/hr pump directed to the drain to remove 20-30% water and use a hose connected to my sink faucet to refill, takes about 15 mins or so for my 160g tank, unless some aquascaping sets me back a bit :D

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Add the conditioner to the tank after it has drained before refilling.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
so im guessing that you just add the tap water conditioner after the water is in the tank? also how do you get the temperature to match the water in your tank or come close to it?
add the conditioner before, i do it so its slightly less than my hands temperature. its pretty easy to make it feel neither hot or cold on your hand, thats how ive always done it but might be wrong i do know my hot water tank cant handle a full change and by the end its running cold and my tank usually drops from 26 deg to 23-24deg.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
...i somehow managed to have water leak down to the second floor, come out of the electrical sockets, then proceed to go into the basement ceiling and had to poke a hole into it to drain all of the water out of it.
what tha?

I'm no rocket surgeon but I think you're doing it wrong.

Do you have drip loops on your plugs? You may find some helpful information here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store