So excited I might pee myself! Found a tank!!

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
Ok so, I'm overly excited and all my friends think I'm a big geek getting THIS excited over a fish tank. BUT, I finally found a used fish tank that is within my price range, close to home, and is gorgeous. It's a 75 gallon that comes with the stand, filter, heater, lid, vacuum, magnet algae cleaner, scrub brush, and a few decorations. The owner is willing to let it go for $320!!! Is this a good deal? I'm assuming it is. I saw pictures of everything and it all seems in order. Although, the tank filters are those types that hang on the side, Fluval brand, I was kind of hoping for a canister filter. Will these be ok for short term?

Now I just have to make a fish decision. I want a Mormyrid for sure, but I can't decide between the Elephant nose (grows to about 10 inches, super cute) or the Mormyrid Kannume (incredibly intelligent, but not much is known about their prospective size..). I've done a lot of research on Mormyrid's so I know how difficult they can be and what their needs are when it comes to PH, water conditions, live foods, etc. I just want ONE fish, I don't want a community tank, I want more of a wet pet. Any suggestions as to which I should go with?

I also asked this in a previous post but didn't get an answer. The fish-less cycling says you need to use pure ammonia. The problem is I have a parrot who CANNOT be exposed to things with such strong fumes. I've had to get rid of all candles, teflon cookware, room sprays, etc. Is there another way to safely cycle a tank without adding drops of pure ammonia? Do those "instant 24 hour" cycle drops with the live bacteria actually work? Or is that a scam?

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
As for the price of the tank, I really don't know because different locations have different prices. I can tell you that I would not pay $300+ for a 75g tank, especially one that did not have good, newer canister filters. On craigslist here in TN I could probably get a used 75g for around $150-$200 with decent other equipment, but that could be a difference between TN and Maine.

As for the fishless cycling. I have used Seachem's Stability when setting up a new tank and have never lost a fish with it. As for other brands I can't comment.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Ah, the joys of a new toy! Gratz!

For the cycling and ammonia.. don't worry about fumes.. its not like you're washing the floor where you'll have room wide evaporation.. all you need to do is put a couple drops in the tank a day. You'll want ammonia and nitrate test kits to follow the cycle to know for certain that its complete and fish safe.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Ok so, I'm overly excited and all my friends think I'm a big geek getting THIS excited over a fish tank. BUT, I finally found a used fish tank that is within my price range, close to home, and is gorgeous. It's a 75 gallon that comes with the stand, filter, heater, lid, vacuum, magnet algae cleaner, scrub brush, and a few decorations. The owner is willing to let it go for $320!!! Is this a good deal? I'm assuming it is. I saw pictures of everything and it all seems in order. Although, the tank filters are those types that hang on the side, Fluval brand, I was kind of hoping for a canister filter. Will these be ok for short term?

Now I just have to make a fish decision. I want a Mormyrid for sure, but I can't decide between the Elephant nose (grows to about 10 inches, super cute) or the Mormyrid Kannume (incredibly intelligent, but not much is known about their prospective size..). I've done a lot of research on Mormyrid's so I know how difficult they can be and what their needs are when it comes to PH, water conditions, live foods, etc. I just want ONE fish, I don't want a community tank, I want more of a wet pet. Any suggestions as to which I should go with?

I also asked this in a previous post but didn't get an answer. The fish-less cycling says you need to use pure ammonia. The problem is I have a parrot who CANNOT be exposed to things with such strong fumes. I've had to get rid of all candles, teflon cookware, room sprays, etc. Is there another way to safely cycle a tank without adding drops of pure ammonia? Do those "instant 24 hour" cycle drops with the live bacteria actually work? Or is that a scam?
Max size for Mormyrus kannume is 3 feet. The average should be around 15-18 inches. I say getting three elephant noses would be a better and more reliable setup.
The 24-hour bacteria in a bottle works to an certain extent. I would just get like three danios or black skirt tetra and put them in there while dosing the aquarium with the 24-hour stuff. The tetras or danios are hardy enough to survive if the instant 24 hour doesn't work, and they will cycle the tank if the instant 24 hour doesn't work.

johnny819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
philadelphia
a little over a year ago i found a 72 gallon bowfront with a stand, lids, two lights, and a fluval 405 for 250 on craigslist. i think i was extremely lucky tho with a good find and it was only 5 minutes from my house. but i also think that you are getting a good deal depending on what kind of filters you are getting. i am getting an elephant nose once the tank is ready for fish again. had one before very cool looking fish except im also getting a few more fish with him. ive never used ammonia for cycling before so i do not know anything about that but you can use small fish to cycle your tank. right now immusing three zebra daniomto cycle mine. im also bought that stuff to help cycle it faster but i am still waiting atleast weeks before i add anything else to the tank. ive read that it works though but you never know.

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
Aw crap, I was all excited. Fish tanks are extremely hard to come by in my neck of the woods. I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere and most fish tanks are located 5+ hours from me. :/ Should I still take it? I mean, it is a beautiful tank, with a huge wood stand. But, I don't want to get ripped off. :/

Also, what do you do with the small fish when you're done cycling the tank? I wouldn't be comfortable killing them but I don't want them to steal food from my Elephant nose of Kannume either (they tend to be slow eaters). I think I'll try the ammonia anyway and I'll just move my bird out of the living room for an hour or so after I apply the chemical.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Aw crap, I was all excited. Fish tanks are extremely hard to come by in my neck of the woods. I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere and most fish tanks are located 5+ hours from me. :/ Should I still take it? I mean, it is a beautiful tank, with a huge wood stand. But, I don't want to get ripped off. :/

Also, what do you do with the small fish when you're done cycling the tank? I wouldn't be comfortable killing them but I don't want them to steal food from my Elephant nose of Kannume either (they tend to be slow eaters). I think I'll try the ammonia anyway and I'll just move my bird out of the living room for an hour or so after I apply the chemical.
The tetras aren't aggressive eaters. Neither are the danios. And even still the slightest movement from fish that are bigger than them sends them swimming away. Mine wasn't. He wasn't an aggressive eater, but he definitely wasn't slow.

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
Aweshade, Jesus, 3 feet? Never mind, lol! I don't think a three foot fish would do well in a 75 gallon. Are the Elephant Noses prone to doing tricks like the Kannume? By tricks I mean pushing a ping pong ball around the tank, going through hoops, etc? I've seen videos of them being hand-fed though, which is pretty awesome. I love their cute little trunks! :)

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
If you have the money - buy a brand new 75 for $160, and buy the stuff that YOU choose - and it will all be brand new. And it will all amount to about the same as that one.

If you want to drive to Northern Mass, I have one I can set you up with for a good deal. Almost brand new.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store