Best ro unit for drip system

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
I currently have a spectrapure 90gpd ro unit dripping into my sump of my 600 gal tank, I just got the ro unit about 3 weeks ago and the membrane is already garbage, I talked to the store where I got it from and they didn't understand what I was telling them then they finally realized that I was running it 24/7 so they told me to go with cold sterile ro system but I'm still wondering if I'm gonna need to replace cartridges every couple weeks, just trying to find the best cheapest solution to a 24/7 drip system

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I'm not sure if you should run a RO system 24/7. Not enough buffers to keep pH steady.
I just use the sediment and carbon filters from my RO for my drip system

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
Ive got a bunch of crushed coral in bags in my sump to keep the ph raised up, but the main reason i keep it running 24/7 is I got the tank stocked good with a lot of fish and I got a community aro tank and they fight a lot when they are hungry so feed them twice a day to keep the fighting to a minimum

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You are looking for trouble running straight RO. You are looking from some huge dangerous Ph swings that could kill your fish even with the coral. The fish need the minerals that are naturally in water, there isn't a fish in existence that can thrive in sterile water. Having a heavily stocked tank is reason to NOT run sterile water. They need the buffers.

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
So what would you suggest just using tap and water conditoner, the water here is real hard and not good quality that's why I switched to ro but yeah I know the ph is real low with it and no minerals so I dont know im just trying to find the best to keep the water good cause doing water changes every week sucks on this size tank

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Yep. This is the best way to keep the water stable. The fish will adapt just fine.

Just run your tap water through a sediment cartridge and a carbon cartridge filter system.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store