tentacled snakes fish tankmates?

SkeptikalScabies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
I recently fell in love with the idea of keeping Erepton tentaculatum, aka the tentacled snake. Ive been researching everything I need to know about keeping them. They hunt by mimicking a stick underwater, staying completely motionless until a fish is in range, then BOOM. No more fish. I have read about people keeping them with fish (aside from the feeder fish), but I cant find what they were. If there are no truly compatible tank mates, I would keep it alone in a 20 gallon, or maybe 2 in a 30 or 40 gallon depending on their availability. If there are tank mates that you know of, gallons are less of an issue. These are fully aquatic snakes, who only need to take a breath at the surface, the rarely go on land in the wild. Thanks.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
My first question would be - out of curiosity - do you know a store that sells them? I've never seen them anywhere but public aquariums ...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
I would not keep them with anything they can swallow or anything you can't afford to lose.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
If they can't swallow it, they might be eaten or harassed by it. Just get some mollys or something that breed quick and don't worry about losing some

Etunes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Florida
I have kept these guys and i am in completely aggree with crayfishguy. Thing is if u put anything they cant swollow in the fish world would probably try to eat them or pick at them to death. Your best bet is get some mollys, guppies, and swordtails and such which are cheap active and pretty and they breed regularly which keeps your stock in the tank up. Also it provides natural stimulation to the snake by letting them hunt and brings a great food source. Also if your looking for somethign that brings movement to the tank these are not it and the livebearers will provide that plus all the previous listed things i said.

Good luck :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store