food for cherax quad

fatmatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
ca
would it be a good idea to acquire some snails and put them in my tank as a food source for my crays? I have 2 adult males and one adult female along with a bunch of juveniles. it would be like a self sustaining tank if the snails reproduce and the crays ate them. what do you guys think?

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Snails are very good for fish and crays. They are high in protein. Your crayfish will likely eats them faster than they can reproduce, so you may want to breed them in something else and then feed. I give them to my marbled crays about once a week. I also feed them carrots, spinach and pellets to give them a more complete diet.
Good luck.

fatmatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
ca
interesting... any ideas on what kind of snail will breed the fastest? i have a small 10 gallon tank that i can do this in..

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Given your tank size, I would do ramshorn snails. They are as hardy as snails come, and can be quite prolific given the proper conditions. I would keep your breeding tank bare bottom (to help with ease of maintenance), and grow an ungodly amount of guppy grass or something similar for the snails to both forage on, and attach their eggs to. If possible, start with 30-50 to give your colony the best possible start.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store