Do you think sumps with filter socks are cleaner than ones with filter pads?

johnnycoolxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Grandma's Basement
I think filter pad style sumps let too much waste through. Theres always a lot of waste at the bottom of a sump with pads because of the bypass. That's even with fairly regular maintenance. I think filter socks doubled up are a lot cleaner and there's much less waste at the bottom of your sump because less crap gets through with filter socks. What do you think?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Whatever your sump is designed for. When I had a wet dry with a drip tray I just cut the pads about 1" too big so they went up the sides of the drip tray. No more bypass. Infact, I liked the drip tray because at it got dirty, water would move further across the tray and I knew it was time to clean.

Also used filter socks in another sump so I know those work well also. I dont think there is a wrong or right to this question

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
It all depends on micron size. If you get let's say 200 you'll definetly still see particles suspended in your tank verses a sock at 50 or lower. But, the draw back is the lower micron will clog way faster than a 200. As for me I use both sock and filter pads and still get some build up in my sump.

abaddown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2014
USA
I think filter pad style sumps let too much waste through. Theres always a lot of waste at the bottom of a sump with pads because of the bypass. That's even with fairly regular maintenance. I think filter socks doubled up are a lot cleaner and there's much less waste at the bottom of your sump because less crap gets through with filter socks. What do you think?
Look at it this way...the aquaculture industry usually uses filter socks, not filter pads

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store