Corals "escaping"

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Hey guys.
I have a 29 gallon reef tank thats been setup for give or take 3.5 months. I have a piece of live rock with 2 mushroom corals growing on it. They are both about 2" across.4 days ago one of them fell off. Right now he's in my HOB filter so he doesnt get blown around the tank by the current. This morning the other mushroom was missing and I just now found it in the lie rock. At first I thought my cleaner shrimp took them but his little claws are way to small to pick them up. The current is not to strong in the are where the mushroom rock was because I've read they dont like much current. Inside the tank I have abt. 10 hermit crabs (all of them are pretty small), a pair of black ocel clowns, a coral beauty angel, and a torch coral (obviously not the culprit). The tank has 40 pounds of live rock and about 15 pounds of dead rock wich I believe has now become live. Last time I checked (yesterday) all levels where good. Amonia, nitrite, nitrate, where all 0, ph was 8.4, and salinity was 1.025. I've never heard or seen this happen. Is there a way i could stick them back on their rock and what could've caused this?
Thanks

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Mushrooms can move around until they find a spot they like. Where did you place them in the tank? Also you can take him out of the hob Filter and cut off the power head overnight so we can find a spot to attach to

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I had no idea the mushrooms move. I'l try the jar idea.
Thanks
Kyle, you should tottally start a saltwater tank. It's really different from freshwater but still just fun.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
You are mistaken about the torch coral - they are very aggressive and could very well make life very uncomfortable to any near by corals. With mushrooms it's not so much the flow as it is the lite intensity, they like to be on the bottom of the tank.

Also your gonna want a better test kit for the torch coral - zero nitrate is impossible, 5ppm or less is optimal. Try Red sea or salifert for stoney coral reef test kits.

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
You are mistaken about the torch coral - they are very aggressive and could very well make life very uncomfortable to any near by corals. With mushrooms it's not so much the flow as it is the lite intensity, they like to be on the bottom of the tank.

Also your gonna want a better test kit for the torch coral - zero nitrate is impossible, 5ppm or less is optimal. Try Red sea or salifert for stoney coral reef test kits.
+1 I asked about the placement but he never responded

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store