savannah monitor,

kasaki89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
hamilton
so had this guy for a couple months, hes about 5 months old, loving every second of it, just a feeding question tho, just started on earth worms, couple days ago, so far hes eaten 4 - 5 but now im hearing store bought fishing worms are a no no? whats ur intake on it ?

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
Did they say why store bought worms were a no no?

Wouldnt think there would be much difference between a nightcrawler from a bait shop, and one you dig up in your backyard, but Im really not sure.

KevinH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2012
New Jersey
There is a lot of debate on their diet in general, from mice, rats eggs, etc are all bad. I feed my adult just that, and also crickets, red wiggles, wax worms, snails, etc. I've never heard that store bought worms are bad, I actually think the opposite as worms found outside could have parasites, or any chemicals from lawn insecticides etc. I just vary their diet, they are very smart animals and cab become bored easily.

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
If you have an asian market near by, you can probably find the snails, these days your local supermarket may even have them in the frozen fish section.

Thats a great point about varying the diet, im sure the monitors love it....
I know I wouldn't want to eat the same thing every day.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
Savannah monitors should mainly be fed invertebrates... PM A. gigas. He'll tell you whatever you need to know.

KevinH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2012
New Jersey
Forgot to mention, don't feed them goldfish, but crayfish have the green light, I pull the claws off before so they can pinch the monitor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store