Combining two acrylic tanks.... Thoughts?

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
Has anyone ever tried to connect two acrylic tanks together?
I have a 480 gallon and a 360 gallon. I will be moving shortly and I was thinking about putting them together once they are in the basement. Has anyone attempted to do this before? The seal between two of them would be hidden in a wall. Thoughts?

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
If trying to combine them back to back, to make more of a square shape, you would need to make mending plates out of acrylic for the seams and probably make a semi perminent base out of plywood and some 2x4s for underneath the tanks to reduce strain in the middle along the seam.
Definantly possible though.

corn fed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Nebraska
Use weld-on #40 or #42. It's way stronger than #4 or #16. And if done right you wouldn't need a plate to cover it. And a good seem is hard to see. Try to find Wednesday13. He may be able to help you more than I can.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
combined_tanks 1.jpgcombined_tanks 2.jpgcombined_tanks 3.jpgcombined_tanks.jpg

Here is what I was thinking. I would hide the gap of the two tanks behind a piece of the wall. I would also add some slots in the connection piece so if I needed I could add a divider in case there is a need to seperate. Thoughts?

combined_tanks 1.jpg

combined_tanks 2.jpg

combined_tanks 3.jpg

combined_tanks.jpg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Yeah u could probably do it but whats the point lol...especially if u plan on using a possible divider. Just run both tanks off one sump and its essentially the same idea. Ur add on pieces would never hold, ud need to butt the tanks together, glue in between the sides and cut the space out. Then glue again on the outside and buff it all out. Have fun tipping 2 different sized tanks over to glue the outside bottom praying the small area of adhesion holds :) ....possible but not very practical. If the wall hides the seam it will look like 2 tanks anyway?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
You could make more of a giant square tube attaching both tanks. It would be completly full of water, not open top like ur design and would work. Just cut two holes the same size, glue ur acrylic square tube shape to the inside wall of the acrylic and viola...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
i think that it is a great idea. i would love to have a tank like that. as far as doing it, the square tube is a good idea. if you cut the hole slightly smaller than the tube, then you can glue the tube onto the tanks, then use a flush cut router to make the hole perfect. the router bit would also bbe a good idea to make sure that the edges of your square tube are perfectly straight and square.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
A cylinder might be even stronger since it would have 4 less seams to worry about. I used to have a custom acrylic tank that was basically two separate tanks with two clear tubes in the middle. There was also a thin sheet of acrylic in front of them for extra support. Here's the only pics I could find, I had it all divided while putting together another tank but that setup was very temporary lol
uploadfromtaptalk1393746143844.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1393746223095.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1393746234885.jpg

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Maybe I missed something...why not just cut the holes and weld the tanks directly together? That would be very strong if enough material is left around the cut outs.
In order for them to glue properly you would have to stand the tanks on end which would mean they would be 12-15 feet tall. If you built a square tunnel that inserted into the tanks you could cement one side at a time and roll the tanks to get the other side. If both tanks are not same dimensions you will have a heck of a time propping the smaller tank when rolling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store