new arrowana feeding advice please

PlaceNameHere

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2014
De Pere, Wisconsin
I just picked up a young arrowana at my lfs, he's a perfect little dude and pounds bloodworms when i put them in the tank. I'm wondering if any of the experienced owners on the site could recommend a good feeding regiment i haven't owned one for a number of years and always love to hear other opinions on raising these awesome fish.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I recommend insect feeders, good quality pellets, and chopped smelt/silversides/talapia etc.

A varied diet is always best!

I do recommend avoiding high amounts of frozen shrimp, fresh shrimp is great, but once frozen it is very high in thiamese which leads to calcium deficiencies. Also avoid mammalian meat such as beef heart, fish cannot break down these fats so they build up on the liver, the accumulative effect leads to heath issues such as liver failure.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
How big is the arowana?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I recommend insect feeders, good quality pellets, and chopped smelt/silversides/talapia etc.

A varied diet is always best!

I do recommend avoiding high amounts of frozen shrimp, fresh shrimp is great, but once frozen it is very high in thiamese which leads to calcium deficiencies. Also avoid mammalian meat such as beef heart, fish cannot break down these fats so they build up on the liver, the accumulative effect leads to heath issues such as liver failure.
Thiasimine does not cause calcium deficiency. The amount of thiasimine does not increase from being frozen. Unless you live on the coast all shrimp has been frozen. When you see it on ice at the grocery they thawed it out first. Just ask the guy at the counter. Although fish can't digest mammaluan meat well, the fat doesn't build up on the liver any differently than other fat. Overfeeding our fish is the primary reason they die prematurely from fatty livers. That is something most of us are guilty of.
If you believe the things you stated are true please provide the source.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/quality_fish_food.html#beef

I'd not feed my fish beef heart because I think it reduces their life span. It certainly might be healthy, but until someone publishes a study showing it has no effect, I can only use my limited common sense. Fish did not evolve with mammals as a big part of their diet, and don't live in the same temperature as carnivorous mammals live. It's logical, if in error, that fish will fail to digest the foods properly. If that's incorrect, I'd err on the side of caution.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

Per this article, the problem with thiaminase is that it destroys the B1 while the fish is frozen. By the same token, while I'm not against feeding fish frozen items (like tilapia, shrimp, etc.), I think it should not form the bulk of the diet. I lean towards a plentiful amount of HQ pellets along with some live foods (e.g., worms, insects), with frozen or fresh aquatic items mixed in. A variety will probably be healthier.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I sum up that article about thiaminase by one its quotes. "there is a distinct lack of solid information"..Certain species react in one way or another when ingesting too much thiaminase. Any evidence it kills arowanas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store