Cave ideas?

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I'm looking for ideas for my ripsaw, bacu and 3line catfish to hide in. Normally they just dig under the driftwood but would like to make it so it's easier to see them. I've seen terracotta pipes before in pics but can't find them around. Any other ideas?

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
The terracotta pipes can be found at builders merchants but they don't come cheap , since I've had a bare bottom tank I've had to swap my terracotta pipes for plastic ones incase it rolls and smashes tank , plastic pipes are fine to use , rain down pipes , guttering and soil pipes depending on size etc , make sure once you've cut them you sand/file the cut edges smooth , so solve the rolling pipe problem with bare bottom tank I siliconed a series of them together , you can make pretty cool pyraminds from them with various lengths , plus if you've got a black back on tank the black pipes are hidden more than terracotta

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Small strawberry pots or plastic pipe would be perfect

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
you may be able to make your own with some quik create. use some PVC pipe as a form with some release agent on it (such as vasoline). mix it kinda thick so it doesn't run and cures quicker. the pvc should pop right off after it cures. you could also forget the release agent and scuff up the pipe good with some sand paper and just leave it in after the quick create cures as well. this way, you could customize the size and shape of the cave. the same could be done with some block Styrofoam, carving it into desired shape, and again covering it with the cement. this is the same process used for most DIY 3D backgrounds.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Another idea would be to ty or epoxy a few large pieces of DW together.if you find a big enough stump,you could just cut a hole

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
PVC is a patrolium based product, wouldn't that mess with the water chemistry and release oils?

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
And how do I get them to sink?

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I've never had a problem with it tainting my water used plastic pipes for years , they will sink as there hollow ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
PVC is a patrolium based product, wouldn't that mess with the water chemistry and release oils?
PVC is used to plumb almost every sump I've ever seen. Also its used to carry drinking water for you and I in a lot of buildings. I don't for see it being a problem.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store