Spring breeding season?

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
It seems this was brought up before.
Right about spring every year someone is talking about there rays breeding for the first time.
I'm starting to see both my pairs getting spunky. Think there is any correlation? Anyone else seeing this?

It's different once a female has been bred she gets prego over and over every 3-4 months, but breeding for the first time or after going without breeding for a while seems spring is when they start getting funky!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I have a theory that they breed March to April and then September to October time frame.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
My female hystrix breed the first time in March (early spring) of 2012. The next time was in May (late spring) of 2013. Will be interesting to see if there is any action in the coming months. Still in the depths of winter right now...

rlane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Morristown, NJ
Fishdog- what is your theory based on? I have never bred rays as of yet, just waiting for them to mature so I am very interested in all thoughts on this. If we are controling all outside influences, water temp, diet, water parameters, light conditions, etc, shouldnt they breed evenly thoughout the year?

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I base it off of what i have seen. But my motoro first bred in fall, like August or so.

My rays are exposed to some sunlight, they are also exposed to different temperatures throughout the year. My tank is usually colder in winter, and warmer in summer. My Ph fluctuates a little in summer months vs winter months...etc.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
No science here just what I have seen from my tanks that stay pretty consistent throughout the year. I do not mess with pH, temp, feeding, or whatever else. The only thing that changes is external weather which I assume changes pressures in the tank. My months might be off by one but all my 10 litters were conceived in the months listed and it seems like 3-4 months after those months they collect a lot of pups in the wild. So one can only assume there are two times of the year that breeding potential is high.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Noticed last night that the female had a fresh bite on the edge of her disc, and it looks like the male was biting the edge of her spiracle just below her left eye.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Noticed last night that the female had a fresh bite on the edge of her disc, and it looks like the male was biting the edge of her spiracle just below her left eye.
every morning the last week or so when my tank is still dark i see both of my pairs chasing, and biting. Seems my Leo/hen is getting some pretty good bite marks.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
My male marble has been trying to mate with one of my females for the last couple of weeks and since the jag has dropped her pups the male is back on her again as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store