How do you afford so many tanks?

johnny819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
philadelphia
I was wondering how do you guys or girls with so many tanks or huge tanks over 1000 gallons afford them. If you do not mind answering how much do you make? I am just curious. When im older i plan on atleast having a 500 gallon tank(plan on building it myself) and was wondering if i would be able to afford to run it and build it. You do not have to answer if you dont want to.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Most people here who have big tanks do a lot of DIY stuff which saves tons of money. You could get a huge DIY setup for the price of a small tank that you got complete from the store.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Buy used, be patient for the right deal. Breed and make some money back

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

johnny819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
philadelphia
I even think think that my 72 gallon with two filters running and a heater plus water changes has to cost atleast 10 a month but i am not sure since i do not pay any bills yet

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I subscribe to the modest home and cars so I can have toys philosophy. Our home is a 2 bedroom townhome which is fine since we don't have kids and the only reason I'd want a bigger home is for a basement to keep fish in, I can afford double the mortgage but a fancy house with no hobbies will decrease my quality of life.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
There is a lot of people on here who do great with DIY stuff which saves a ton. Otherwise it's all about being patient, consistently checking up on Craigslist/local club forums/forums on here, etc. to see if you can find a sweet deal - eventually one comes a long. Saving is good. I think with most of the tanks I ever bought (not in the gallonage your talking about though) I bought with my tax return.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Have old cars, don't take vacations other then tent camping locally, buy clothing from thrift stores in good part of town, own house outright, have grown kids, DIY, gardening for food, don't eat out, haggle when buying and be relentless at it, be patient and wait for bargains, save, save, save, save. Rinse and repeat.

Because I do that stuff I can afford to buy the fish I want. I live miserly so I can live well.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
So you buy used clothes, so that you can buy tanks ? LOL Nice ;)

Just keep watching Craigslist, and sooner or later you'll find some deals, some even for free.

Irbanjaxed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2008
Ellijay Ga
I by no means have a huge tank or alot. I have a 90gl and a 30
I built the stands and canopy my self one of the biggest things i like to do that i used to be totally against and it seems silly now but i barter alot
I clean carpet and do carpet work. The 30gl saltwater tank i have cost me no joke 40 dollars (not counting electricity) i added everything up and my set up is worth about 600 dollars. If i didnt barter i would never be able to afford the saltwater tank
You would be suprised the small local pet shops that will barter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store