What Channa would fit with Cichlids?

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Hello,

I have a 700L tank, sand bottom, light-ish flow with two pieces of wood and some rocks (Had to replace my 60L cause it was too small, too dark...

Anyway! After finding a new home for my Nattereris (It was a blast, but a big tank for 6 fishies was not all that entertaining...), I decided to replace my stock and try African cichlids!

2014-02-20 15.35.24.jpg

This is my actual tank, giving you a (very vague) idea of the stock, but know that it has a couple of Delhezi (Poly) a couple of other Polys I fail to identify (Plain grey/greenish, no line, no nothing, but voracious when it comes to dinner time! 8-10 cm long atm), a Panaque, a couple of Silver Dollars, 2 Platydoras Costatus, quite a few african cichlids of all sorts (Made sure to not get any of the ones reaching 40cm+!) and... 6 channas bleheris...

Here is my problem, the channas were in a small tank, waiting to get a pair mating to remove the other 4 and leave them in a tank that would fit them. Upon rehousing my piranhas, I figured they'd have more room in the new 700L, and be much happier... How wrong was I... I need to move them back to where they were, which I will once they got over the first rehousing, but nevertheless, I would like to know if there are any kind of Channas that would fit with African Cichlids without eating them (Yes, I'm looking at you, Micropeltes!).

If you have any idea, please let me know!

2014-02-20 15.35.24.jpg

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Hi Madou,

Short answer: none

Channas do way better in a species tank. It is the best (and for most of the channas keepers, the only) way to keep them.

But even if we move from there (a couple of the channa species sometimes may be kept with other fish), there are no species of channa that can inhabit with your african cichlids. Not only because the channas would either eat the cichlids or be harassed by them but also because the water conditions required for the african cichlids do not match the ones required by the channas.
With the bleheris (a sub-tropical species) you also had the temperature problem, since they need a cooling period at around 18-19º for the winter time. But even looking at tropical species I don´t see see a channa species that would be able to inhabit with those cichlids.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Alright then, unless you are mistaken, which I highly doubt, I shall not have anymore Channas *Cries*

Just have to get back to my original channa tank :x

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store