Do any of you breed for money?

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Just wondering who breeds fish for money and what do you breed/ what's your setup?
I'm not looking for a new venture or anything just wondering, my brother n law is breeding fancy beta fish he swears he can fetch 50 bucks for each good looking male he's got a main 30 gallon then a dozen or so 10 gallons

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Good luck to your brother... the thai kinda have us beat especially in bettas. Instead of having to heat a tank and feed the fish, they toss em in a jar without a cover and let nature do its thing. Ive tried my hand at breeding, but I Found it more profitable to grow aquatic plants.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I guess that is what my wife and I are trying to do. We have 115 tanks ranging size from 10 to 240 gallons. The smaller tank are for fry with larger for grow outs and a couple of display tanks. The tough part is figuring out what to raise we have some fish that are not common in the hobby and that helps get people in the door. Our best sellers are probably guppies and peacocks as most people like a semi community tank. Our location is the biggest problem so we try to keep prices a little lower to get customers out. We are starting to get better known but it has taken about 3 years. If wasn't that we love the hobby we probably would have quit. One other thing of note is we try tell people as much as we can about size and diet of the fish we sell. It has been said on here a lot that too many people get fish with out knowing what they are getting into.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I used to breed fish for money. A lot of work and it takes all the fun out of the hobby. Quit breeding after many local fish stores in my area went out of business. No place to dump all the fry. Now I breed for fun, and give fry away to friends or sell them cheaply at local fish clubs.

CrazyCichlids

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Manahawkin, NJ
It honestly is so hard to breed and make any kind of great profit. There are people that talk about breeding guppies and fresh water rays and turning a profit. The reality is that breeding usually just helps off set the cost of this hobby. I have been in this hobby for over ten years and any time I breed fish I would have to travel to sell them and then I would usually take that money and dump it right back into equipment for my tanks. I did take my wife out to a nice dinner one time which was paid for by selling fry, and that was a type of "thank you" for putting up with the massive about of time and attention I put on this hobby of mine…lol. Speaking of profitable breeding…lol... I am currently trying to pair these two and their offspring would be worth a good amount of money.

IMG_2171.JPG

WarrendaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2009
Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Wow that's a nice fh pair... Very sexy!!

I've been breeding for many years now but I am trying to expand to help pay for the hobby. I would be happy if the breeding would help break even for this expensive addiction.. 
I've bred discus, severums, ebjd, axolotls, rams, and am trying to get deep into plecos. I have several trios of several different species, some small breeding groups that I have also recently acquired.
Such as:
L 200 green phantom
L 128 blue phantom
L 144 blue eye white bristlenose
Super Red BN
an assortment of Longfin BN including marbled, brown, green, and albino
L 155 Adonis (grow out trio at about 12")
L 081 (L177) Gold Nuggets (small spot)
L001 gold Spot
L165 Sailfin Gibbiceps
L046 Zebra
L239 Blue Panaque
L183 White seam BN
L340 mega clown
L400 hypancistrus
L204 emperor
L134 peckoltia

As well as a few more grow outs that I'm either looking for mates or they are not sexually mature. I still breed discus, severums, axolotl, angels, and Dempseys. Also trying to dive into Bettas with a couple full moon pairs. Also have a few colonies of small catfish such as cory and synodontis. Also trying to a trio of Synspilum, eel tail banjo catfish...

Check out some of my threads to see the progress (if any)...

Haven't had too much luck with the Plecos thus far besides the reg and longfin BN. But haven't had too much time to do the extras besides my weekly WC regiment which is spread over two days (Sunday and Monday) to do the 40+ tanks.

If I only had more time...
And money
And tank space
And time

WarrendaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2009
Massachusetts, U.S.A.
So far I haven't made much money but I work with a few LFS's and usually trade for some of the pairs/trios/groups I have now. Also would love to get into rays... I have a semi large motoro female that's waiting for me to get the indoor pond wet again. So much to do and so little time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store